4. Arranged Marriage

Viola looked at herself in the mirror of a guest chamber as her dread kawed at her. Her long white dress was made of only the finest fabrics. The golden necklace around her neck sparkled at her through the reflection. 

She sighed deeply, turning more nervous by the minute. Having to marry the one person she hated the most would probably be the decision that would ruin her. She felt like she was doomed to be the King's personal slave through this marriage. He'd probably either neglect her completely or use this opportunity to make her miserable for as long as he could.

 She'd been awake almost all night helping the doctor with any and everything she could to help him lower Amelies fever.

When the sun rose she was picked up by one of the maids and brought to the guest bedroom to rest before the wedding. Despite trying she was not allowed to go see Amelie again.

After having rested on an actual bed for the first time in months she was bathed and dressed up for the wedding.

None of the maids answered any of her questions, and only spoke to her when it was in regard to her dress. Viola was more than sure that this must have been due to an order by the King.

Although she was nervous about the wedding, most of her thoughts rotated around Amelie. She couldn't get the maids to tell her about how she was doing. For all, she knew Amelie could no longer be alive. Viola shook her head trying to drop the thought when the door swung open.

Accompanied by two knights the king entered the room. He was dressed in a white tunic, lined with golden embroidery which matched the crown he gracefully wore on his long blond hair.

He barely looked her up and down before motioning her to follow him. She walked three steps behind the king as they made their way to the throne hall. Her light, layered dress swung with every step she took down the halls. A lump in her throat began growing, as the nerves kicked in. Flashes of her father sitting lifelessly on the throne covered in blood kept crossing her mind.

It nauseated her to think that she would marry her father's murderer even if he wasn't the one who physically did it. As the doors to the throne room were opened for the two, Viola swallowed trying to ignore the thought.

The hall was filled with dining tables and by the looks of things, every knight and every servant of the castle was seated at the tables, and had now gotten up as they entered the room.

All eyes were on them as they walked through the silent room towards a priest standing by the thrones. Viola scanned the crowd in hopes of seeing Amelie. When she couldn't she reminded herself that even if she was better now, she'd be resting in her room at the moment.

She followed King Archer up the stairs to the priest, where they were both given a piece of one beautiful white ribbon to hold onto. The priest spoke of a long-lasting bond that would now be made official by this ceremony. He spoke words of faith and the future of the country. For Viola, every word felt like a jab to the heart. It made her want to turn and run, never to look back, but she couldn't.

"And you, my Lady do you swear to protect this kingdom and to live your life by the kings' side as the new Queen of Golland?"

Viola nodded, having barely heard the priest. She could feel King Archers' cold gaze from the side.

"Then I hereby declare you the new Queen of Golland!"

Archer and Viola both lowered their heads and lifted the ribbon for the priest to take before a servant came holding a pillow with the golden tiara embedded in crystals from the former Queen, which the priest took and gently placed on Viola's head.