14. Break my heart again

When Viola awoke her sense of time was none existent. She turned her head towards the curtains that were drawn closed, but still let a few rays of dim light in. She couldn't tell if it was dusk or dawn.

Her eyes surveyed the royal chamber in hopes of finding the King, to no avail. It was empty, and as empty as it was, it was also silent.

A cold feeling of loneliness overcame her like a wave. One that kept washing over her just before she could catch her breath. The silence was deafening. Her limbs felt like they weighed a ton, but she fought her weak body to get out from under her sheets.

Coming to a shaky stand a feeling of fear joined her sea of emotions. It ran down her spine causing her to shiver.

Her steps were uneven and every one of them caused her a great deal of concentration.

Using the weight of her own body she pulled open one of the doors into the hallway.

The guard standing in the hallway had to double take when he saw the visibly pale Queen slowly make her way along the walls of the halls.

Before he could even ask Viola lifted her hand saying, "Stand down," in between pants.

He hadn't been given any other orders than to guard the royal chambers so he decided not to go against what the Queen said.

She needed to see him. She needed to see the King. Although her limbs ached with every movement she kept pushing herself towards the king's study, in hopes of finding him there.

Feeling extremely lightheaded, Viola didn't follow any form of logic. All she knew, all she felt was that she needed to see him right now. She didn't want to be alone. Not when she felt this ill.

It had taken ages until she finally made it to the study. Pushing open the door, trying to catch her breath, her eyes immediately met his.

"Viola?" The King got up from his chair clearly confused.

Viola didn't have the strength to answer, instead, she concentrated on making her way towards Archer, who rushed around his table to her side.

"What are you doing walking around?" The king asked grabbing her shoulders softly to give her some halt.

I was looking for you.

"Why aren't you resting in the chambers?"

Because you weren't there.

"I need you to talk to me."

I need to know if what you said was the truth.

"Viola."

Archer.

"Look at me."

Tell me.

Viola's body was failing her. Standing seemed to drain the last bit of energy she had. Her head felt heavy. Involuntary she leaned forwards into the king's chest, who was quick to embrace her.

Archer carefully bent down, sitting his Queen on the ground. "I'll get the doctor, and Amelie, you'll be okay," the King whispered trying to hide the fact that he was panicked by her weak appearance.

He gently released her from his embrace to get up so Viola reached out weakly grabbing the fabric of his tunic, lifting her head she locked eyes with the King, "Stay...please."

Naturally, the King wanted to get help. Help he wasn't able to give her, but seeing her small hand latch onto his tunic and her pleading eyes begging him to stay he couldn't fight her.

He kneeled down and pulled her into a tight embrace, tilting his head down to place it onto her head. Feeling Viola weakly wrap her arms around his back and leaning into his chest, his embrace became tighter.

He'd come so close to losing her. He couldn't do a thing about it. He felt that if he were to let her go now he could lose her.

"Thank god," the King whispered, "You're alright."

The King's words and the fact that he had been worried reached Viola in the deepest corner of her heart. For a second she was filled with warmth. There was no more pain, no more loneliness. Viola savored this feeling she'd been longing for.

"Archer," Viola whispered, ignoring the pain in her throat that came rushing back in and the burning of her dry lips.
The King was about to tell her to stop pushing herself to speak but she beat him to it, "If you plan on breaking my heart, do it now."

There sat Archer, mouth agape, subconsciously loosening his grip around the Queen as he stared into the emptiness.

The few seconds Archer took to answer felt like an agonizing eternity to Viola. She'd put all her courage into this one sentence. She needed to know now, so she could move forward. So she could stop herself from falling any further.

"Do it again.....Do it now," Viola blinked back the tears glad she could hide her face in the king's embrace on the cold floor. Just like when he told her that she meant nothing to him. She needed him to do it now. If he waited any longer her feelings would grow beyond reason and she was sure if he'd break her heart then, that it would be the death of her.

"I'll never...hurt you again, Viola," the King whispered trying not to choke on his words. "From now on I'll take care of your heart. I'll be good, I swear it."

Viola's eyes widened and her heart seemed to skip a beat.

"Where have you been? I, I needed you," the Queen asked remembering how she awoke alone.

A little confused the King needed a moment to understand what she meant.

"I've been there, day and night," there was guilt in his voice, "There was something I needed to take care of, I had to leave, but I promise I haven't left your side in days."

Viola fought her exhaustion, only being able to nod in response. She wanted to thank him, but she just couldn't.

Although everything hurt her heart was at peace. She felt safe knowing that the King had not been playing her all this time. His embrace radiated so much warmth. It soothed her aching limbs as she could no longer fight her body's urge for sleep.

Archer held Viola for minutes, gently caressing her back, when the sound of hurried steps from the hallway grew louder.

"YOUR HIGHNESS-," Amelie shouted rushing around the corner, only to see the Queen in the King's arms. Archer shot Amelie a harsh glare lifting his index finger to his mouth.

Breathing heavily from having run through the castle in search of the Queen, Amelie could have wept with joy after seeing her sleep in the kings' arms. "Thank goodness," she whispered leaning forward to catch her breath.