6. Breaking out

Viola ate her breakfast while Amelie cleaned the Royal chamber.

"I'm feeling so much better, although I'm still pretty tired," Amelie smiled at the Queen.

"That's so nice to hear," Viola said taking another bite of her eggs.

Amelie started picking up the Kings clothes off the floor when she paused with an almost saddened look on her face. "I need to know if- if it is true that you were forced into marrying the King to save me." Her voice was full of guilt.

"Well..." Viola contemplated her words, "No, he did offer me to help you if I married him, but I was sick of all the hard work anyways." Viola tried to overplay her lies with the best playful grin she could muster.

"Thank goodness," Amelie sighed in relief. "I guess life as a queen is more relaxing..."

Amelie kept going on about how happy she was to be better and that the usually rude doctor had taken good care of her during the past few days.

Viola was happy to hear that and when a moment of silence fell into the room Viola asked "Amelie, would you mind joining me in going to the castle gardens?"

Amelie lifted her brows in thought, "I thought you aren't allowed to leave the chamber or so I was told..."

"I'll explain it to him afterward so he will understand, and also I'll make sure that you won't get into trouble. He'll never even know that I was gone."

Viola knew it could cause trouble, but she foolishly thought that if she hurried up enough that the king wouldn't notice. And even if someone did notice them in the gardens she could possibly prove that she wasn't causing any harm. 

Worry was still visible in Amelie's eyes as she finished folding the bed's sheets. "If that is what you want, your highness, then lets go."

Viola knew that all she had to do now was convince the chamber's guards. She instructed Amelie not to say anything and to follow her as she pushed open the chamber's heavy doors. Viola immediately caught the guard's attention as she began stepping out of the room, followed by a fidgeting Amelie.

"Hey," the guard said blocking Viola's way, "My orders are to stop you from leaving these chambers so don't even think about leaving."

Viola put on her best face of confidence, "Didn't the King inform you that I am to meet him in the throne room?"

The guard lifted his head in thought before shaking it. "My orders are only to keep you here."

Viola sighed, "I'm sure that King Archer will be more than angry if I don't make it to him on time."

"He would have said something I am sure of it," the guard tried to reassure himself.

Viola crossed her arms, "Well he is a very busy man of high importance, so I wouldn't blame him for forgetting a small order like that this morning."

"I am sorry, my Queen, but if what you are saying is wrong-,"

"Do you really think I'd gotten all readied up like this if I weren't meant to go see the King? A maid even came to help me choose a dress and everything. I do not have the time to argue, I apologize," Viola said slipping past the knight. 

Defeated the knight sighed, watching her stride down the hall followed by Amelie. "Please let her be telling the truth," he mumbled before going back to guarding the empty royal chambers. 

Turning the corner Amelie couldn't help but giggle, "You're actually a really good liar."

They began making their way down the stairs towards the gardens when Amelie's worry came back. "But what do we do if the King does find out? That knight could go and check if we were telling the truth."