Chapter 21

Hi everybody! I am sorry it has been so long. Things have been crazy. Just when you thought life couldn't get any crazier, life throws a handful more at you. One thing I have learned the past few months-- NEVER EVER NEVER EVER say "things could be worseeee!" Trust me. hahahah. Anywaaays, to make up for being gone for so long I have a couple chapters I am uploading tonight! I hate how long this has taken me, but at the same time, it has been insane. I actually just moved across the country to this little sea-side waterfront town in Washington (the twilight Washington, not Washington DC)  that I LOVE. I read once that "rainstorms are the lullabies for writer's souls" and I have to agree. All the rainstorms here in Washington are amazing and make me want to write more. Anyways, along with moving, I went through a heartbreak and as if that wasn't enough, my grandpa is now suffering from a severe form of dementia. There is a lot to what is going on with my grandpa, but I can't talk about it. Maybe I will someday. Maybe I will write a book about it. So, even though this chapter has nothing to do with my grandpa or who he is, I wrote it and I want to dedicate it to him. Please pray for him. He is the most amazing man. Anyways, I love you all so much. I am so sorry I haven't been able to update as much as I wish I could have. I promise I am trying. I am so excited for what is coming in this book because the climax is coming SOON. Like sooner than you think. I really hope you enjoy. I love you lots. xx

-Hannah 

CHAPTER 21: Sydney's eyes blinked open as confusion filled her brain. Why was she asleep?

 What had been going on? 

Her gaze focused and she found three worried faces filling her vision. 

"W-What happened?" She asked as she tried to sit up only to find her head was in Marcello's lap, his arms wrapped around her torso as he stroked her hair. 

"I feel so bad," Piper said. "I told you about your stepfather being a part of a cult and how the cult is after you. You just got this blank look on your face, stood up and then you fainted. Are you okay?" 

Redness colored Sydney's cheeks as embarrassment gripped at her insides. "Oh, god that is...embarrassing to say the least." 

Marcello shook his head. "You have nothing to be embarrassed about. That was a lot of information, hard information, to take in." he told her gently and she gave him a forced, small smile as she tried to pull herself from his arms.

 For a moment, he held steadily but then let her go, his jaw clenching as he fought not to grab her and pull her back to him. 

She sat up, just as Stacy walked in, thankfully having put on her top. "What is going on? Who is this woman and why is she here?" She looked Piper up and down and Piper stared at her like she was a bug she wanted to smash under her heels. 

"My name is Piper. I am a friend of Sydney's and I just did some research for her and I was telling her about it," Stacy's eyes narrowed then, some odd emotion feeling her otherwise expressionless face. Piper turned to Sydney, continuing, "and on that note, Syd...I think maybe you should consider going out to talk to him. I already sent a written letter requesting to talk to him and he just sent it back to me, but because you are the product of his obsession, I think that is the only way that you will get answers." Piper told her with regret and sympathy painting along the lines of her face. 

Instantly, Marcello and Antony shot up. "No! Are you fucking nuts? This guy is obviously obsessed with Sydney, hell, he tried to kill her once and he could be behind the cult trying to kill her now! You want to put her in the same room as this man?" Marcello shouted. 

Sydney just sat there, staring at a spot on the floor. "Of course I dont WANT her to do this, but if this is the only thing that will get him to stop or for us to find out more information to get this TO stop...this could be and honestly, probably IS the only solution. I wouldn't suggest putting Syd through that trauma unless I knew it was completely and utterly necessary." Piper said, voice filled with frustration.