Ch 2

Will had never been fond of coffee. There was just something about the taste that he just couldn't get past. He had long since trained himself to tolerate it. A cup of hot coffee looked much more professional than replicating a can of some old earth energy drink.

But now he wasn't on the bridge, he was in his quarters and he needed something to keep him awake. Something he would actually enjoy.

Spending being in and out of sickbay for Beverly to monitor his recovery from the events on Malcor III had done nothing but make him tired. And perhaps make him detest that part of the Enterprise a bit more.

He wasn't exactly behind on reports, but after five days of mandatory leave he wanted to get something done. He didn't have to be back so soon but he was getting restless.

He scrolled through the reports and soon found himself biting the tip of his thumb. It hadn't managed to find it's way fully into his mouth. He pulled it away from his mouth and tried to busy his hand with something else.

He hadn't quite settled on anything to keep himself from biting his thumb when he heard the familiar chime of the door announcing a visitor.

"Come." He called out.

He heard the familiar hiss of the door's opening then closing again. Then, Deanna.

"Isn't it a little late for work, Commander?"

She was already in her pajamas. Perhaps already was the wrong word. It was late, but Will was still dressed and she clearly hadn't planned on coming to see him until just recently or she would have been too.

"You say that as if you aren't coming to see me in the middle of the night, Counselor." He really was happy to see her.

"Only as a friend, Will. How are you feeling?" Deanna asked, leaning back against his desk.

He chuckled, "I'm sure I'll feel much better when I've gotten caught up on my work."

Deanna nodded.

He hadn't told her all that had happened on Malcor III, he hadn't told it in full to anyone. He didn't even want to. But then again, she had more than likely pieced most of it together, at least that was what he thought.

She was more cautious than most. She wouldn't so much as tap him on the shoulder without waiting for an invitation -more often physical than verbal- unlike others who would come around grabbing his shoulder or patting his arm. It was never ill-intentioned. They were just glad that their commander was alright. But he wanted nothing more than to jerk away and scream that he didn't want to be touched.

Deanna had surely noticed that much.

Will tried to ignore the way she scanned the room. He grabbed his glass to stake a drink, perhaps a little too fast, as some of his drink spilled out onto his shirt sleeve before he could even take a drink. He cursed under his breath. Her eyes fell to the glass as he placed it back on his desk.

"What are you drinking?" She asked.

Ordinarily he would just smile and let her have a drink but this time Will paused. He wasn't trying to rack his brain to remember what it was, but rather trying to decide what it was supposed to be. What Deanna would want it to be.

"Juice." Will decided after only a couple of seconds.

Deanna studied his face, unconvinced, "Juice?"

"Yes." Will nodded, "It's apple juice."

Well, it was apple flavored and although it likely wasn't made with any juice but he didn't know for certain. He'd gotten it replicated in a glass rather than the can, which it would have come in when the product was originally produced, with the nutrition facts and ingredients.