Ch 5

His anxiety had mostly subsided. His heart rate had steadied. But in the back of his mind was a tinge of uneasiness.

Ten-Forward was much too crowded for his liking. He should have planned to meet her at a different time.

Deanna was sure to reach his mind before coming up beside him. Still he was startled. No one would have seen the way his muscles contracted, but Deanna could feel his panic. Releaf creeped into his mind slowly after he met Deanna's eyes.

May I hold your hand?

He didn't say anything, turning his hand out slightly to accept her offer. Deanna took Will's hand and gave it a gentle squeeze as they walked through the crowd. Will smiled.

"What should we get?" Deanna asked.

"You can choose. You know I'm not picky." Will shrugged, he didn't feel all that hungry.

Or maybe he was afraid that he would begin to feel nauseous again.

You're so helpful.

I know. Will grinned.

Something Betazoid?

Okay.

A real answer, Will. I need a yes or a no. I will not be upset with you.

He always hated it when she did that.

Yes. Something Betazoid.

He knew why she had chosen it. He refused to dwell on the idea.

Go find us a table and I'll get something for us to share.

Will nodded and dropped her hand. He scanned the crowded room for an empty table, then spotted one and headed over. He hoped none of the crewmen enjoying their lunches or a simple drink would come over to try chatting with him. He didn't feel up to chatting.

Thankfully Deanna was sitting down across from hims soon setting down a familiar Betazoid dish. He couldn't quite remember what it was called but they had eaten it together on Betazed a few times and he had always enjoyed it. Then again Will could stomach just about anything if he wanted to.

Will sighed and picked up a fork. He stabbed at the food on the plate, not really eating it, just moving it around and poking at it.

Deanna gave him a rather disapproving look, he tried to tune her out but he could feel her eyes on him, burning a hole through his skull. He knew it would only be a matter of time before she noticed the burns on his hand. But she didn't comment on the irritated red spots on his hand.

Stop playing with your food, Will.

Deanna, I'm not a child.

I know you're not.

Will sighed and put the fork down. He leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms.

"Will, please, eat your food." Deanna said in a hushed tone.

"No, Deanna. I'm not a child and I don't need you to mother me."

Do you really want to have this conversation in Ten-Forward, Little One?

His cheeks turned pink and his gaze fell to the floor. No.

Good, now if you want something else we can get something else, but you need to eat something.

Fine.

Will picked up his fork again and started eating. He didn't allow himself to taste any of it. Deanna only told him to eat, not to enjoy it.