Chapter 2

"So, this is quite the predicament," Splinter commented.

They had Logan tell the story again, start to finish. Splinter said nothing. He also seemed to be stumped with their current situation. Silence crushed the room. Logan felt like he was suffocating in it.

"I don't think staging a death would be the best solution," Splinter filled the silence with his thoughts. "After all, how would Logan go home if Donatello's plan works?"

They all nodded in agreement and Logan sighed in defeat.

"Logan, I suggest you find a way to collect your belongings from your home. It seems you will be staying with us for a while, or indefinitely if Donatello's plan falls through. Leonardo will go with you for protection."

Leo nodded and glanced at Logan before going to get his gear. Logan walked back to Donnie's lab to collect what he had with him during the explosion. All that had survived was his pocket knife. The small weapon fit perfectly in his palm. The cool metal soothed him, reminding him of the day he got it. He was nine years old, hunting in the woods with his father. Since he was so young his father didn't trust him with anything more, but Logan was grateful. Logan's eyes misted over as he remembered that a day with his dad like that, may never happen again. A voice snapped him out of his thoughts. It was Leo.

"Hey Logan, you ready?"

Logan quickly wiped his eyes and turned quickly, a fake smile plastered to his face.

"As ready as I'll ever be."

Leo looked at him with concern before leading Logan to the entrance of the lair.

"Are you sure you can handle this? With your leg and all," Leo spoke carefully, not wanting to offend him.

Logan smiled at Leo. "I'll be fine. I want to say what might be my last goodbye to my home."

Leo nodded in understanding before helping Logan through the sewer tunnels and up, out of the sewer drain.

...

What felt like hours later they arrived at Logan's apartment. Leo climbed the side of the building, helping Logan the whole way up. Logan's leg screamed in strain but he persisted. They finally sat outside of Logan's bedroom window. Logan carefully pushed open the window and looked back at Leo.

"Stay out here and don't come in no matter what, understand?"

Leo couldn't do anything but agree. If they got caught, there would be nothing Leo could safely do. Logan took a deep breath and carefully slipped into his bedroom. A large wave of scent hit his face. Did his room always smell that bad? It was familiar and comforting all the same. He grabbed two backpacks and got to work. One for clothing, and the other for anything else. He slowly padded around the dark room for what might be his last time. He stopped at Kaito's bed. Tears fell as he remembered him, all of the good times they had together. The best friend he's ever had. He kneeled by the bed and touched it. He could smell his dog's scent left behind. Faded. As he wallowed in his grief, he didn't hear the footsteps.

The door flew open and Logan's mother stepped in, in a panic.

"Who are you!? Get out of my house!"

Logan took a careful step back. He knew he had to be careful with his words or something bad was going to happen.

"Mom, mom, relax, it's just me! It's all a misunderstanding-"

"No, no, no son of mine is a freak! I will have no monster for a son. You have ten minutes to get what you need, then leave before I show you how unwelcome you are."