chapter 8

The world was in shambles. Society was standing on weak legs like a newborn fawn. People's lives were flipped on their heads as the news reached them: They weren't going to die. They were saved, to live another day till the rest of their lives!

But... now they had to deal with the consequences of their actions. Buildings and businesses that were set aflame hours ago were only now being put out; many new and old relationships were destroyed. The consequences of one's irrational, desperate decisions that were made hours ago were visible to everyone even if they weren't involved; there was no rug big enough to hide the pile of regrets that a single person wanted to hide.

The image of the trusted justice system was brought to its knees; so many selfish, shallow, sociopathic, narcissistic, and downright immoral "heroes" were brought to light, that the organization was drowning in pink slips, arrest warrants, and court dates. Heroes and villains were questioning themselves; they were re-evaluating their whole life choices. Were they good? Were they bad? What did their actions in such a delicate situation say about themselves?

And that's not even touching the political mess across the globe, the mass of casualties, the cost to even begin the clean-up, the mass decrease of the population, the reminder that humanity can be worse than the demons they feared, etc.

But none of that mattered. Not to Flug. Right now he felt loved, cherished, and valued. He was still enjoying the comfortable company of his boss as Blackhat wanted to personally check for any hints of injuries, bruises, or boo-boos. All the while Blackhat washed Flug's skin with a warm washcloth; going from his arms to chest, to neck, and back. It was soothing to Flug as it simulated grooming that made his cat mind purr in delight.

It's here in the content silence that Flug thought about his relationship with his boss. They crossed the line of "boss and employee" a long time ago. Blackhat was very open to showing affection to Flug and vice-versa. The two's dynamic didn't feel romantic; no more than a pet and an owner's relationship would be. But at the thought of it, Flug wasn't completely against the idea.

Blackhat took great care of Flug. He proved to be a great provider; as well as thoughtful and kind. All things that Flug NEVER thought the eldritch was capable of. Yet here, right now, Blackhat was the picture-perfect image of an overprotective, doting partner. It was sweet.

Now that Flug thought about it, he was curious to know where he stood with his boss. So, he asked. "Lord Blackhat?" His voice was soft, relaxed, and content; no trace of worry or fear.

"Hmm." The eldritch answered, not looking up from his task.

"What am I to you?"

"Hmm?" That got his attention; he looked Flug in the eye.

"I mean, what is our relationship? Are we still 'boss and employee'? 'Master and pet'? What are we?"

Blackhat looked off, thinking. His face expressed confusion as he thought about it. He was quiet for a while, slowly going back to wiping Flug's skin. Flug gave him time to think; still enjoying the treatment. He thought about the prospect more as he waited.

It wouldn't be bad, he thought. They could sit here and enjoy each other's presence; enjoy cuddling and sleeping peacefully next to each other. Maybe that's just the lazy cat in him who wants that. But if he looked back to before all this happened, he enjoyed relationships that turned out like this.

He liked companionship more than just having a lover. But if Blackhat wanted to take this relationship further, he wouldn't mind; as long as they had more calm, relaxing moments like this.

Blackhat finished cleaning Flug and they both stayed quiet for a moment; keeping Flug's hand resting in his. Flug took a peek through his eyelids to the eldritch, and he looked troubled. Blackhat's brows were creased with what looked like worry, his visible eye looking off to the side, and he had a small frown. Flug waited for him to say something, he didn't want to interrupt what the other was thinking, especially if it was important. After a moment more, Blackhat took a deep breath and let it out slowly; he held Flug's hand more firmly.