Six

Six | Bittersweet Mistakes

Jason's big party was tonight and he was determined to make it insane

Jason's big party was tonight and he was determined to make it insane. For some reason, despite my dislike for parties, I was actually somewhat excited for tonight. I was ready to have a good time after a long week and Jason was equally as confused by my attitude as I was.

It was early in the day, and we were at the liquor store buying beer because, unlike the last party, this one was actually being thrown at our place, which meant that Jason wanted to show up every other college guy in town with the amount of beer he could get. He was always one to outdo everyone else. And he succeeded every time. I was looking through the beer selection when I turned around and saw Jason grabbing 2 cans of the bitter ale. Immediately, I tensed at the thought of Harrison.

"Just 2?" I asked even though I didn't need to.

"It's just for one girl, Otto. She's not gonna drink a whole damn case herself. And this shit is nasty," he said, wrinkling his nose. He looked up and noticed my expression, then realized who he had been talking about. "Oh shit! Harrison! You fucked her! Right, I almost forgot."

"Shut up, it's not funny. She's my student and it shouldn't have happened," I said. "Well, she's not my student anymore, which I feel shitty about. I feel even shittier for kicking her out of my class. And even shittier when I walk in the classroom and don't see her sitting beside West. But regardless, what happened between us was a mistake. Nothing more, nothing less."

Jason squinted his eyes at me and then scoffed. "Holy shit."

"What?"

"You like her."

"I don't."

"But you do." Jason placed the 2 bottles of bitter ale in our cart. "You can't fool me, Otto. I know you like you're my dick."

I wrinkled my nose. "Please never say that again. Being compared to your dick isn't exactly a compliment."

"Being compared to my dick is the biggest compliment you could ever receive," Jason told me. "What I'm saying is that I know you too well to be fooled by your rambling. You like Harrison."

I rolled my eyes and turned back to the beer and grabbed a pack of Corona. "So what if I do? I can't do anything about it. She was a student of mine and, not to mention, a minor. It would be highly illegal to be with her for more than one reason."

"No one needs to know, Otto," Jason said. "It can be a secret."

"A secret that if anyone found out, could you imagine the trouble I'd be in? I would be fired and I could go to jail," I said.

"Get a grip," Jason said, leaning up against the shelves. "I can't necessarily be having a relationship with West, can I?"

I thought. "No, not exactly."

"Yet, I am," he said. "You keep it on the DL and nothing happens. No one can touch you if there's no proof of anything. If you're both on the same page, that is."