Fourteen

Jason dropped me off at the coffee shop and I ordered a white mocha latte to go

Jason dropped me off at the coffee shop and I ordered a white mocha latte to go. I didn't want cinnamon and I didn't want anything "too boring", so I went with what I first saw on the menu. Although, I had come to the conclusion that the white mocha was just too unbearably sweet for my liking. I drank it, nonetheless.

    When I got back to my dorm room, the first thing I did was I pull out my emergency stash of Puffy Cheetos and Chips Ahoy cookies from one of my dresser drawers. I always kept one of the drawers filled with snacks and each month I would stock up on a certain snack or two: this month was Puffy Cheeto and Chips Ahoy month.

I ate while I pulled out my laptop and searched up Otto Landry in the Google search engine. You can call it creepy, but I wasn't intending on doing any intense stalking. I just wanted to see if I could find any information on him. I clicked on Facebook and he had a profile, except he had never actually posted. And there was nothing for Twitter either. Besides the Facebook account, Otto had no social media, which didn't help me find anything about him. It was pointless, so I decided my time would be better spent getting in the shower.

    But the moment before I decided that, I typed in Jason Carr.

    Articles popped up about the son of Mr. and Mrs. Carr , AKA the owners of Carr & Co., a really prestigious Law firm located in New York. The firm started in New York, then expanded to 20 other states, becoming one of the best firms in the whole of the United States.

    I started to read:

Jason Carr, son of Carr & Co. owners Jessie and Michael, was taken in for reported physical abuse towards his girlfriend, Ms. Penelope Duncan (age 19). Ms. Duncan was reportedly found in Carr's apartment with bruises on her face, arms, and a reported stab wound in the side. An investigation is underway, but Carr is looking at the probability of being proven guilty. If he is, he will see two months in jail and 48 hours of community service.

"Holy mother of shit."    And I wasn't just cursing because maybe Jason went to jail for physical abuse, but I was also cursing because... Jason had a girlfriend? Not to mention, the article was only from one year ago.    I wasn't sure what to believe. If the article was even real or not, or if the Jason I'd been in a car with today was capable of physically abusing someone else. Sure, he was an asshole, but that couldn't be possible, could it? I shook off the thought. There had to have been another explanation for why Jason was causing West so much distress. So for now, I dropped it, closed my laptop and headed for the shower.

•••

I thought that since I was invited to the party tonight, I should show up despite not wanting to be anywhere near alcohol. I told myself that I was purely going to see Otto one more time before the school week began, and nothing else. I wanted to completely avoid the chance that I would get drunk and throw up in Otto's house. No drinking tonight.