𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏

-~-

-~-

"Sherlock, would you stop pacing, please?" Adeline asked politely, despite the fact that she was agitated. It was now well past midnight and Sherlock had gotten out of bed for the third time that evening to pace.

"I am sorry, my love, but you know I can't help it. This damn case is driving me mad." Sherlock replied tiredly.

"I know it is, but you being tired tomorrow won't help you figure it out." Adeline spoke, before turning over in bed so her back was to him. Adeline heard him sign, before the bed dipped behind her.

Adeline rolled back over with a smile, but was met with Sherlock lying there with crinkles in his forehead and a frown on his face.

Adeline reached out her hand to his forehead, pushing back some of his curls so she could smooth out the lines. Sherlock leaned into her hand, as she slowly moved it into his hair, running her hand through his strands.

"It is late, you should get some rest." Adeline said quietly. Sherlock, whose eyes had already started to close from her soft touches, only nodded and sank further in the bed, draping his arm over her waist and pulling her closer.

"Goodnight, darling."

-~-

In the morning Adeline awoke to an empty bed, and a constant sound of shuffles coming from the other side of the wall.

With a groan Adeline pushed her head into her pillow, as she did this however the door opened.

"Ah, good morning, darling." Sherlock said in a happy mood. Adeline lifted her head up confused, because wasn't it merely last night he wasn't happy?

"You seem to be in a good mood this morning, what's changed?" Adeline voiced her thoughts.

"I have devised a new way to see my notes, and it is helping me work through all my blockades." Sherlock told her.

"Oh?"

"Yes, come see and tell me what you think." replied Sherlock, and grabbed her hand helping – pulling – her out of bed and towards the living room. Mildly curious of what he has concocted this time.

Upon her arrival in the room, she was shocked to find the entire room littered in notes, maps, documents and an array of other papers.

"Sherlock!?"

"What?" The man in question responded, looking ever the lost puppy at this moment.

"What made you think that this would be the best course of action in your investigation?" Adeline asked. Though the pair had been living together for the past eight months since their wedding, Adeline had yet to see an investigation turn her living room into a mess.

"Well it helps me to organise my thoughts."

Adeline only had one thing left on her mind after this display, Sherlock had never resembled his sister more than in this moment.

"Breakfast then?" Adeline asked, as to move on from the mess.

"Yes, I went out and grabbed half a dozen Dundee cakes from the baker." Sherlock answered, turning towards the centre table and grabbing a plate, which now had three Dundee cakes left.

"Thank you." Adeline said, grabbing two and leaving towards the kitchen to grab another plate for them.

When Adeline returned she carefully took a seat on a chaise in the corner and started eating.

"A letter came for you." Sherlock spoke, handing it to her at the same time. Adeline reached for and read the one sentence quickly.

I am in the city today. Join us.

E&E

Adeline's eyes turned up to see Sherlock looking over with interest, ever the nosy man.

"A letter from your mother and Edith, asking me to join them today." Adeline answered Sherlock's unspoken question.

"You'll be joining them then?"

"I'm sorry I can't help you with your case today, perhaps you could ask Enola to take a look? I'm not sure she's getting much work, so a distraction may be helpful." Adeline said.

"I'll be perfectly fine working on my own today, and besides you're the only person I'd ever let help me." Sherlock spoke with seriousness. Adeline rolled her eyes.

"I won't always be around to help, people will start to think you're more of a recluse then they already believe you to be." Adeline told the stubborn man.

All Sherlock could do was let out a 'hmph' before returning to his papers and trying to figure out his case.

Adeline started towards their bedroom to get ready for the day before saying one last thing.

"Remember the housekeeper is out for the week, so please don't completely trash the house."

-~-

On her way to Edith's Tearoom, Adeline made a slight detour to Enola's detective agency to check up on the young girl. Although as she arrived she saw a man out front scraping the letters off of the window.

Adeline quickly headed into the building, only to see Enola packing away all of her belongings.

Enola looked up at the sound of the door opening and closing. Seeing Adeline standing there, her face dropped and she rushed over.

Adeline felt Enola's small body hit hers with a force and quickly wrapped her arms around her.

"Enola, what's happened?" Adeline asked.

"It appears I am a failure." Enola replied, although it was slightly muffled as Enola's head was buried in Adeline's chest.

"Enola you are not a failure, you are trying your best in a world where not many would give you the opportunity." Adeline told her.

"I know, I just expected more."

Adeline sighed and brought her hand to smooth down Enola's hair a couple times before pulling away.

"You have a big legacy to follow, you will have to work harder than the average person. Do not let it get to you, your time will come." Adeline told her, before continuing.

"Let me help you pack a few things away, I have a few moments before I need to leave, and hopefully you'll only be back at Ferndell Hall for a short while before you are back on your feet."

Enola nodded before turning back to her possessions to continue packing.

"If you wanted to stay with Sherlock and I, you need only ask, we have a spare room." Adeline said while grabbing a few items.

As Enola was reaching across her desk she knocked of Dash the pinecone dog and said,

"I can figure it out for myself, but thank you Adeline." As she finished and was ducking down, the door opened and the bell rang.

Adeline looked to see a young girl standing there nervous, Adeline smiled, and called for Enola who was looking confused on the other side of a basket.

"It looks like you have a customer, things aren't quite over yet"

Enola snapped her head to Adeline, then snapped her head back to the basket and pulled the lid down.

"I'll see you soon, you've got some work to do." Adeline said, and walked to the door, smiling at the two girls as she went. 

-~-