Gift

It was the weekend and everyone made plans to go out in the afternoon but first many of them would be coming over for lunch at the Kazansksy household and after the fiasco from the other day absolutely nobody wanted to be in such an awkward environment but they could never turn down food. Everyone had received a message from mav saying "meet behind the hard deck at 1300 on the dot Monday, bring suitable workout attire" Olivia found it strange as to what the hell they'd possibly be doing the following day at the beach. Everyone in the house was up and getting dressed for the lunch, family and friends would all come over and hang out for a while since many didn't know when it was that Olivia would deploy, Sarah thought today could be more of a celebration for all the aviators. Olivia was in the kitchen helping her grandmother cook meanwhile Peter set the table and the decorations on the back patio while Olivia and her grandmother cooked a knock was heard from the front door and Olivia had gone to see who it was and opened the door to reveal Maverick standing at her front door.

"To what do the Kazanskys owe the pleasure?" He smiled at her and hugged her and she let him in and saw her grandmother walk on over and she hugged him as well.

"How is he?" He smiled at her but it quickly faded when he saw her expression. Olivia looked confused as well and Maverick now knew that she didn't know as well.

"Dear could you check on the roast for me?" Olivia only nodded confused and walked off into the kitchen to do as asked.

"The cancers back, and more aggressive" Maverick looked down and questioned what she had just said.

"Is there anything that can be done?" Sarah shook her head no and gave a weak smile and Maverick hugged her and she told him where he was. Walking up he could hear him coughing and it hurt him to see his friend in such a state where he couldn't do anything to help him. He closed the door slightly and Tom looked up at Mav and gave him a smile.

"Admiral" Maverick pulled up a chairs to sit beside him and Tom smiled at him the entire time.

"How's my wingman?" Tom smiled and turned over to his computer and began to type and Maverick looked over to see what he spoke back.

"Want to talk about work?"

"Please don't worry about me, what can I do for you?" Immediately Tom pointed at the screen and Maverick gave in knowing he wouldn't win.

"Rooster's still angry with me about what I did, I thought eventually he would understand why...I hoped he'd forgive me" Tom nodded being cry attentive at what Maverick spoke to him. He turned back to his computer and began to type once again.

"There's still time" Mav shook his head not believing it to be true.

"The mission is less then three week away, the kids not ready" Tom nodded and typed once again.

"Then teach him" Maverick sat up straight and shook his head again.

"He doesn't want what I have to give" Tom put his hand up in expression trying to say oh he will.

"Ice please don't ask me to send someone else to die, please don't.....don't ask me to send him send me" Tom smiled fully comprehending why Maverick would ask him to do such a thing and so he turned to type.

"It's time to let go" Maverick stared at those words for a while and Tom stared at him waiting for whenever he was ready. The tears were evident in his eyes and he blew out a breath before speaking in a low whisper.

" I don't know how" Maverick looked all around trying to evade from his tears falling.

"I'm not a teacher Ice, I'm a fighter pilot a naval aviator...it's not what I am it's who I am, how do I teach that?"He took a pause and Ice observed him.