chapter fifteen: Fascinating Strangers

a/n: heyy guys...long time no see :D I haven't updated since February lol. but Zuko's back! hope you enjoy, my loves.

---

The sun is in the high crest of the sky, beating down on us. My muscles ache from hours of walking. Iroh shuffles beside me, humming a cheerful tune, and I have a smile on my face, despite the tiredness. I rarely feel glum when I'm with the old man.

I step alongside him. I open my mouth to speak, scratching at my wrists. I don't want to ask, but I can't help it. "Hey, when we find Zuko, do you think he'll come back with us? What if he wants to stay alone?"

Iroh shakes his head and stops his humming. I can't help but feel a bit guilty for bringing up his nephew. His nephew who let him. "He'll come back. Zuko is not meant to be alone. He needs support, even if he can't accept it yet."

I nod. I hope that's true. I don't want Zuko to be alone. Even if he doesn't care about me, I care about him. I don't think that's a weakness, just a nuisance.

I swing my hands as I walk. "So, what do you think he -"

The ground falls out from around me. I screech, seeking purchase in the dirt around me. I think I'll keep falling, but then it stops.

I hear Iroh groan from nearby. "Ohh. That really hurt my tailbone."

I trace the path of crumbled earth to behind Iroh. I see a girl, younger than me, standing with her hands upon her hips as she surveys the damage.

I push myself up from the ground. "Can we help you?" I call. Whoever this girl is, I'm feeling annoyed. I have fresh scratches lining my knuckles, and the skin on my knee has been scraped off. My body stings as I rise to stand.

"Who are you?" the girl demands.

"We're travelers!" Iroh pipes in, struggling to get up from the ground. "Just enjoying a nature walk?"

"Hmph," the girl scoffs, and hops down from her rock to give Iroh a hand. She pulls him upright and gives him a little pat on the back. "There you go."

"Why thank you," Iroh says, smiling.

"Yeah," I say, "Thank you even though you were the one who pushed him down. You're an earthbender?"

"Yep," she nods and cracks her knuckles. "I'm pretty good, too."

"Yes!" Iroh exclaims. "That was a quality ambush! If we'd have been your enemy you'd be in good standing."

"Thanks!" She's smiling now. There's something off about her eyes when she looks at me, as if she's looking through me instead.

I don't say anything. Who is this girl? Her eyes stay on me, through me, whatever, and she doesn't speak either.

Iroh butts in. "How about a nice cup of tea after that exciting ordeal?"

I break my gaze away from her. "Tea sounds nice, Iroh." I'm not particularly thirsty, but I wouldn't mind resting for a bit.

"And you, my dear?" Iroh asks the strange girl.

She hesitates. "...Sure. I guess. Tea."

"Excellent." Iroh walks over to the side of the road and starts digging through his pack, looking for the kettle that Zuko brought him.

I look at the girl again. "So...what's your name?"

She stands up straighter. "Toph Beifong. What's yours?"

"Y/n...Y/n." I forget for a moment that I don't have a last name.

"Y/n Y/n? Wow, your parents must have hated you."