chapter 16: Another Climb

a/n: heyyy guys....long time no see....

Zuko and I are by Iroh's side the moment we hear him wake. It's morning, and songbirds have found their perch in the forest outside. The sun streams through the rotting panels of wood, painting Iroh's weary face in soft light.

"Uncle," Zuko urges. Iroh breathes in, prying open his eyes. Zuko releases a sigh of relief, and so do I. "You were unconscious," he says. "It was a surprise attack. Azula did this to you."

Iroh pushes himself up. "Somehow, that's not surprising."

I stare at him in worry. "How are you feeling? I mean, obviously not great. I tried making the salve you taught me but I don't know if I did it right-"

"I'm fine, my dear. Thank you."

Zuko stands up and rushes to the kettle that we put on the fire. Neither of us really know how to make tea, we just used some of Iroh's herbs that he had stashed away. I'd seen him do it enough times, but he makes it look easy.

He carries a cup of steaming tea over to us. "Here, Uncle. I hope we made it the way you like it."

Iroh takes it from his hands gratefully and takes a sip. I see his eyes widen, his jaw clench.

Zuko looks at him hopefully. "How is it?"

"Good!" Iroh exclaims, a little forcefully. "Very, uh, bracing!"

Zuko gives me a satisfied smile. I give him a thumbs up, but when he turns away, I give Iroh an apologetic grin. He shakes his head with a smile.

Then, Zuko says: "Uncle, I've been thinking," and I know that whatever he's about to say is cause for concern.

"It's only a matter of time until I run into Azula again," he continues. "I'm going to need to know more advanced skills to face her." He pauses. He sends the both of us a look. "I know what you two are going to say; she's my sister and I should try to get along with her."

I shake my head. "Um, no? She's insane. And I'm not a firebender, so..."

Iroh nods. "Yes. She's crazy and she needs to go down." He pushes himself to stand, groaning as he does so. I reach out to help him but he waves me away. "It's time to resume your training."

Zuko nods solemnly. "Thank you, Uncle. I'm ready for this."

He and Iroh hike up to the mountain peak in the evening, and hours pass before I hear the thunder.

I'd busied myself with cooking, mixing together vegetables that I'd found in the overgrown garden outside the cabin. There's carrots, tomatoes...not quite enough for a meal, but we're working with what we can get. I spend most of the day alone. My mind wanders, and my chest hurts when I think about things for too long, but the sun is out and the grass is lit golden in the evening and I convince myself that it's enough. When the rain comes in, I watch it through the window, and listen to the quiet melody of the droplets on the roof.

When Iroh breaks through the door, obviously troubled, I stand, heart already racing. "What did he do?"

Iroh shakes his head, clearly distressed. "He wants to bend lightning. I told him he is not ready, but he won't listen."

"He's out there?" The sky is dark, and the wind has picked up drastically. As usual, the mention of Zuko stirs anxiety in my body.

Iroh nods. "I'm still weak. I can't..."

I nod. "It's okay. I'm going." I have no coat or protection from the rain, so I make my way to the door.

"Be careful, please," Iroh says.