1: All Mom'd Out

Chapter One

I groaned in frustration, turning off the stovetop as my food was sizzling and smoking. Burnt. The smoke detector was beeping incessantly, piercing my eardrums. Maverick was screaming at me to put on his kiddie show but I lost the remote and instead we were suffering through some reality TV show with raunchy women. Not to mention my phone was ringing over and over again, but my hands were full with a toddler on my hip and a frying pan being tossed in the sink in the other.

"Kenz?" I heard my name called through all the noise in the house.

I winced at the steam rolling my way as I ran the water over the burnt patties. Two hands suddenly grabbed me by my hips, tugging me back from the sink. "Whoa, babe. What is going on? Were you trying to cook?" Stefan chuckled, mouth pressed to my ear.

"Where have you been?" I snapped. "And can you please stop the beeping?"

Stefan's brows raised and he sighed, letting me go. He then walked away to take care of the smoke alarm. I left the sink running and headed to the living room to look for the TV remote. Maverick whined and whined, cranky as usual. "Mav, please, I'll put on your show as soon as I find the remote," I mumbled.

My phone started ringing again and I growled in annoyance, putting the two year old down on the couch. "Stop calling me!" I snapped, pulling out my phone from my back pocket to see who the hell it was. Ten missed calls from Matt. Ugh! Probably telling me he was going to be home late once again tonight.

Maverick stopped crying then, staring up at me with tears rolled down his face and eyes wide in shock because I yelled. I sighed, sitting down next to him before pulling on my lap, "I'm sorry, baby boy."

"Are you okay?" Stefan asked, joining us in the living room. I could hear that the water was no longer running. I sighed, shaking my head. "Babe, you're overwhelmed. Don't you think, having a babysitter would help you?"

I glared at him, "What would help is my husband."

His brows raised then, "You don't think I help you? Who cooks you two five meals a day? Who drove all the way to Whitmore to pick up your schedule? Who drove Jeremy to the airport at four in the morning today? Who stays up for hours with Maverick when he wakes up in the middle of the night?"

I sighed in defeat, "You've been gone all day and I'm starving. Maverick is starving."

"I picked up dinner," he said, coming to sit down next to me on the couch. I smiled weakly as he took my hand and placed a kiss on the back of it. "You're stressed out. You need and deserve a break. Stop thinking you are in this alone. You're not. Jeremy came to visit. And I'm here for you."

"I know," I sighed. "It's just a lot to do before school starts in a few more days."

"You're avoiding the subject. You need a break."

"I'm a mom now, I don't get breaks," I retorted, shuffling Maverick on my chest as he was dozing off now. Wore himself with crying no doubt.

Stefan leaned over to kiss me gently, "You're also a senior in college. Who is going to watch Maverick while you're at school and Matt is at work?"

"You?" I shrugged, smiling sheepishly.

"We talked about this," Stefan frowned. "I don't want to sit around waiting for you all day. I love Maverick but stay at home dad was never my ideal future, especially because he has his own dad."