8: A Thankless Night

Chapter Eight

I glanced at Bonnie, both of us just got a text in a group chat with Enzo. He found Oscar's car that Julian has been looking for. He invited us to join him. I gave Bonnie a nod, slipping my phone away while she typed a response on our behalf. "Hey to cut this thing short but Bon and I have an errand to run," I smiled curtly.

Stefan furrowed his eyebrows, "What errand?"

"I'll explain later. You need to clean some of this up and talk to Damon before you know who gets here. Happy Thanksgiving everyone," I said.

I hugged Ric and Matt goodbye before kissing my husband. "Who else is coming over?" Damon asked as I waved. Maverick was sleeping upstairs in my bed so I didn't want to wake him just yet. Stefan would have to clear everyone out before Lily was expected to be here in about an hour.

Bonnie offered to drive as we headed to some junkyard to meet Enzo. It wasn't far thankfully. And my British friend was already there when we arrived, waiting for us. "Don't you just look divine," he smirked at me.

"Don't I always," I gasped dramatically, throwing a hand over my chest and fluttering my eyelashes bashfully. "Hey, stranger."

He chuckled and gave me a tight hug, kissing my cheek, "Hey, beautiful." Then he let me go and his lips pursed as he looked around me at my friend. "Bonnie."

"Enzo," she sniped back.

"You invited her," I pointed out to Enzo.

He rolled his eyes and handed me a piece of paper, "This is what we're looking for."

I read over the car description and tried to memorize the license plate before handing it to Bonnie. "Let's walk," I said. There was a dozen rows of abandoned cars. Some still in good shape and others, literal junk. And we were looking for a car about 10 years old and yellow. Ew.

"Why would a centuries-old vampire with a bunch of witch groupies be so desperate to find anything collecting dust in the Midlothian County impound? Seems a little beneath him," Bonnie commented, befuddled.

Enzo shrugged, "Well, if Julian wants it, then so do I."

I snorted, "Are we talking about Oscar's car, or Lily?"

Bonnie tsked as Enzo fell silent at my words. "You're not doing this to stop a psychopath. You just want the girl," Bonnie stated.

Enzo scoffed then, sarcastically telling us both, "Congratulations. You've just unlocked every man's true motivation in life."

"Let me give you some advice. Stop treating Lily like some prize to be won," Bonnie said.

I nodded in agreement. I was ready to make a comment on how he deserved better than Lily but he responded too quickly to Bonnie, "Spoken like somebody who's never been fought over."

Bonnie frowned. I chimed in then, rolling my eyes, " It's not the turn-on you think it is, bud."

"Try flowers. A quiet dinner. Listening," Bonnie added with a sarcastic smile. Enzo chuckled in amusement then. I took the paper from Bonnie as I spotted a yellow car with the back windshield totally shattered.

"Found it," I declared, looking it over to see the license plate matched.

"Well, I'm assuming Julian doesn't want it for it's Bluebook value," Enzo grumbled, scrunching his face in disgust at the piece of junk. He walked towards the trunk of the car and ripped it open to reveal a bunch of empty bottles of beer and motor oil.

"Charming," Bonnie uttered under her breath.

I stepped up beside the hunk, digging around to lift the covering of the trunk. As expected there wasn't a spare tire. "This is where I would hide something," I said as I saw a thinly wrapped object. Enzo grinned as he reached into grab it.