6: Potentially A Killer Party

Chapter Six

I stood in the doorway, phone in hand. I just checked in with Matt. Now I was checking on my husband who at some point moved to sleep on the couch. He was muttering too and squirming around. His wrinkly forehead made me sure he was having a bad dream.

Maybe I should wake him. I headed towards him to shake him awake when he jerked suddenly himself. Gasping for air. "Hey, it's just me," I whispered as I moved to sit next to him

"Hey," he mumbled, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

"Who's Jacob?" I asked him, rubbing his leg comfortingly.

"Who?"

"Jacob. You were saying that name. I was afraid you were having a nightmare. I was about to wake you myself."

"Uh, yeah, nightmare," he said.

"About?" I pushed. He was being shifty. It was written all over his face. Like he didn't want to tell me something.

"I had a dream that I had a kid... named Jacob and he was 11... It was 1874 and I was teaching him how to shoot a gun. I showed him first. Then when it was his turn, I looked back and he had vanished," he admitted in a low voice.

I sighed softly, reaching around to rub his back. His sad green eyes locked on me then. I didn't know what to say. I really had no clue how to make this better or make him feel better at least. It was a loss. And he had to grieve it.

"You know... When we have kids one day, they will not know how to shoot a gun. Ever. It's not safe," I said.

Stefan snorted, "Agree to disagree."

I kissed him on his temple. "I like the name Jacob though," I said.

"Jacob Salvatore."

"Beautiful," I smiled. "But how do you know it was a boy. It could've well been a little girl."

"Maybe."

"With your green eyes... a girl would've been to die for," I whispered, gulping at the thought. I could... We could have that shot. But would he go for it? I don't want him to think I was trying to replace this child. Not at all.

"I don't know have any girl names picked out."

"You have baby names picked out?" I gasped, faking shocked. "But all boys? How sexist of you."

He chuckled then, "Be quiet."

"I have an idea," I said.

"What?"

"You'll just have to wait and see," I grinned, kissing his lips. "Come on. I'm hungry. Let's go out for breakfast. I don't want you cooking distractedly."

"You could cook."

"And burn this house down? Tyler would kill me," I retorted, scoffing. "Absolutely not."

"You cool for Maverick."

"I slice up fruit, make instant oatmeal, or cereal. I hardly call that cooking."

Stefan laughed loudly then. We got off the couch just as someone moved into the doorway. A girl. Dripping wet. In just a towel. "Oh, good morning," she said, looking between us. "You must be his girlfriend. Nice to meet you, um... I never got your name."

Valerie. She was... Cute. I guess. I could imagine her in 1863 all dressed in a ball gown. She had a puppy dog face. Reminded me of Stefan. At least when we first met. I could totally see him smitten by the little innocent girl back then.

"Kenzie," I said as gently as possible. I had to be nice. She and Stefan were fragile now. My concern with her feelings for my man could wait. They needed to be pushed down. It would be tacky of me to be rude now. But... "And I'm his wife," I smiled softly.