7: Romance At the Lake House

Chapter Seven

Like a zombie I left the room, went down the stairs and found Stefan in the living room. He was on the floor, his back to the wall. Damon sat right beside him.

"Kenz?" Stefan questioned, staring at me quizzically as he got to his feet in a hurry.

Like word vomit, the confused accusation slipped out of my mouth: "I'm pregnant?"

Stefan froze, "Excuse me?"

"They think I'm pregnant," I laughed, unamused. "Me. Pregnant by a dead witch coven. With one of Ric's twins."

"What?" Born brothers questioned.

I nodded, "I'm freaking out."

Stefan walked forward, pulling me into a tight hug. "It's okay, it's all going to be okay," he whispered, rubbing my back.

I shook my head, tears filling my eyes. "There's no way. No. I don't want... No," I sobbed softly, confused.

I never wanted to be pregnant. I barely and briefly let the idea cross my mind for a human future with Stefan. Carrying his children. If there was a one in a million chance... it wasn't supposed to be like this.

"This seems like a husband and wife moment," Damon commented.

I sobbed harder, wrapping my arms around Stefan's neck. I was freaking out. There was no way this was possible. And I felt like a bitch for not wanting it to be. For my life to change. To give Ric the most priceless gift. But I didn't ask for this!

"Stefan, I don't want..." I trailed off. "I can't be pregnant. I can't push a baby out of me. I won't. Stefan, please."

"Kenz, breathe. Calm down," Stefan whispered, stroking my hair and kissing my forehead.

"What are we going to do?"

"Well, first, you're going to tell me the whole story—"

"No. Call Ric. I... I c-can't."

"You're going to give yourself a panic attack," Stefan said, cupping my face in his hands as he forced me to meet his eyes.

"I need a drink," I stated.

He shook his head, "No. No drinking."

I gasped, one hand over my mouth and the other over my stomach. I had wine tonight... Jo passed away... months ago. How many times did I have liquor since then?

"This isn't real," I said. "It can't be. If it was... I'd be like five months pregnant by now! I don't look pregnant!"

"Kenzie, calm down."

"Calm down? You calm down!"

"I'm trying," he said. "This isn't a walk in the park for me either. Yesterday I found out I was almost a father, today I find out my wife is pregnant with some other man's baby? On top of the fact you're a mom to your nephew and I'm just uncle Stefan? Trust me. This isn't good news to me either!"

For a moment we were quiet. Everything we've said hung in the air for a moment as we sank to the floor together. "We're terrible people," I said, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"We're under a lot of stress," Stefan pointed out, squeezing my hand.

"What do we do?"

"We go to bed," he said. Then he nodded. "We will deal with this in the morning or... in a couple of days. But for now we sleep. We are going to need the rest."

"Okay, I like sleep," I whispered.

Stefan nodded and stood first. He helped me to my feet before leading the way to our room. By a stroke of luck, Maverick had fallen asleep. The two of us slipped on either sides of him, holding hands across his little body.