Wattpad Original
There are 28 more free parts

2. Heir

VALENTINA

Heir of the Romano Famiglia.

The words echoed in Val's mind as every capo around the table slowly turned to look at her. She wondered if her own features reflected their expressions of surprise and uncertainty. Her father had shocked them all with this announcement, apparently, and now he watched the room with a satisfied gleam in his dark eyes.

Val's throat ran dry. A quick glance toward Uncle Adriano, who stood stiff and wide-eyed beside her, revealed that he also had not been privy to the knowledge of his brother's decision. Val knew that the underworld revered Leonardo Romano for his unpredictability, but this...

She thought she'd have to fight tooth and nail to convince her father to let her stay in New York with the famiglia. Not only did he plan on allowing her to remain with the family, he wanted her to lead it?

"Well, amore?" her father mused, breaking the thick silence that settled over the study. He cocked a bushy brow. "Have I left you speechless? Are you not pleased?"

Val cracked her lips to respond but couldn't form any words. She didn't know what she felt. Women did not become bosses in the Cosa Nostra. When her mother and father failed to have a son, Val assumed the role would pass to Adriano. Judging by the underlying shock in the room, everyone assumed it.

"I'm..." She finally cleared her throat, meeting her father's scrutinizing gaze. "Surprised."

"Yes, I suppose you would be," he grumbled, picking up a cigar from its tray on the table. He took a long puff. "But you are my daughter. My only child. My blood runs through your veins, and it will run through your children's veins. Who better to uphold my legacy when I'm dead?"

Val nodded slowly, allowing the weight of his words to settle in. She stepped closer to the table until she stood directly opposite of her father, who still lounged back in his seat at the head. He never stood for her, even when he demanded that the capos rise out of respect.

"Are you dying then?" she drawled, placing her hands on the smooth mahogany and cocking her head. "Is that why you've let me come home?"

He held her gaze, cool and calculating, before one corner of his lips curled in amusement. He chuckled, and the sound sent a shiver down Val's spine. This was a side of her father that she'd never seen before. "No. I'm simply making arrangements, Valentina."

Val considered his words—considered the opportunity that he'd given her. Wasn't this what she wanted? A chance to prove herself and all that she learned in the last four years? She took a deep breath, drawing courage into her lungs, and dared to smile. "I'm honored, papá."

"Bien." He took another long drag from his cigar and gestured toward the seat closest to Val. "Sit down. We have matters to discuss."

The capos took their seats again, and Adriano stepped forward to pull Val's chair out for her. She smiled up at him, a silent thank you, before sliding into the seat opposite her father. Adriano stood beside her, having forfeited his own spot at the table. Val prayed her uncle felt no animosity toward her for her father's surprise announcement and made a mental note to speak to him after the meeting.

With everyone around the table situated, Val clasped her hands in front of her and waited for her father to begin.

He cleared his throat. "I expect word of Valentina's return and new... status to reach the other families in—"

Before her father could continue, the study door swung open. The room went silent as every head turned toward the door, interrupted only by the sound of the newcomer's heavy footsteps on the Persian rug. Out of the corner of her eye, Val saw several of the capos stiffen at the sight of this new arrival. Val, whose back faced the study entrance, twisted in her seat.