Chapter Two

{ A/N - Please vote, comment and enjoy }

♥ ♥ ♥

It was never hot in Ashling, North Carolina. Locals joked that the climate, like that of the Scottish, consisted only of two seasons; June and winter.

But today, late-August, was an exception. The sun beamed down on the vast grounds of Belmont Equestrian Centre, basking in it an uncharacteristic sweltering glow. A golden shimmer was painted on the horizon and there was a balmy breeze to the air. I regretted wearing thick jodhpurs as I wandered through the paddocks scattered with horses grazing contently, the sun radiating off their sleek coats.

It had been just over two weeks since I'd been to the yard. After Harry's injury, I'd been granted a break whilst I attempted to tape together the shattered pieces of my broken dreams. There was a dull ache resonating through my heart at the prospect of being back at Belmont Equestrian Centre, knowing that if it hadn't been for my misfortune a month prior I could currently be cruising around the cross-country course at Kentucky Horse Trials.

Beneath all the grief and guilt and disappointment, I harboured a fiery anger at the situation. It was unfair, not just that a small error had cost Harry his career and me my dreams, but that all those years of hard work had gone to waste.

A dark bay gelding let out a soft whinny at the sight of me arriving at the gate of his paddock. He left the shade of the large, sweeping oak tree at the far end of the field and trotted over to me, his paces elastic and his head held high. A smile crept across my lips, and in that moment I realised how much I'd missed being around horses. I'd buried so many of my ambitions in the talented creatures that I'd forgotten that they were an uplifting passion of mine, as well as a demanding vocation.

"Hey, boy," I murmured softly, placing a delicate kiss on his velvety muzzle. The young gelding, Milo, nickered in reply. I slipped the head collar over his face and led him back to the sought after coolness of the barn.

I tied Milo to the hardstand and groomed the gelding thoroughly, indulging at the feel of his soft coat beneath my bare fingers. I tacked him up swiftly, eager to get going before the day became too hot to do anything else.

"Madison!" a voice called out to me as I tightened the girth and adjusted the stirrup leathers. I cocked my head to the left to see Avery, my best friend, rushing towards me, cradling a saddle in her arms.

"Hey, Avery," I smiled at my best friend. Like me, Avery had worked at Belmont Equestrian Centre for many years and we'd shared a close friendship all that time. She hadn't changed much over the years; she was still the sweet, supportive and loving girl I'd befriended several years ago, still blessed with sun-kissed blonde hair and soft brown eyes.

I supposed I hadn't changed much either. Ever since I was a child, I'd been enamoured with the demanding world of equestrianism. I'd always shared Avery's charming, easy-going nature – albeit partnered with naked ambition and steely determination in replacement for Avery's will to please everybody. There were few people who knew me beyond my visual traits: mahogany brown hair, samphire eyes and a slender, toned frame.

"It's good to have you back! How was your vacation?" Avery asked.

I bit back a sigh. "I wouldn't exactly call it a vacation..."

Avery sighed sympathetically. "I know. Sorry. How have you been, though?"

"Coping," I offered her a small smile. "What about you? How have things been at the yard?"

"Busy. We've had a lot of horses to prepare for sales recently."

"That's good, I suppose," I replied. Milo shuffled beside me, nudging my arm lightly with his muzzle. "What about...Harry?"