Chapter Five

{ A/N - Please vote, comment and enjoy. }

♥ ♥ ♥

The atmosphere was buzzing. The air was filled with the muffled hubbub of competitors as they busied themselves and negotiated the course; the regular whinny mixed with the sharp aura of riders, owners and trainers all seeking success. I felt alive feeding off the energy and ambiance alone, though the thrill was mingled with a bitter ache considering that this was my first competition since the tragic show that ended Harry's career.

The two horses munching peacefully on hay nets by our small trailer were groomed to perfection; manes plaited, coats clipped and hooves shining from the hoof oil we'd applied earlier. It may have only been a small event, but Milo and Liberty looked stunning.

Avery, Holly and I had taken Milo and a rangey six year old Thoroughbred mare called Belmont Liberty to a small local show for experience. Both horses were young and needed the experience. They were only entered in one class; a one metre jumping test. The course, which I had walked earlier with Holly, was reasonable but forgiving and asked no major questions.

It felt good to be out again, and Callum – who had become my infuriating shadow over the past few days – was safely back at Belmont.

"What time is your first class?" Avery asked, emerging from the trailer with her showing gear on.

"In just under half an hour," I replied.

"Well you better start warming up then," Holly chipped in, taking a sip from a cold, refreshing can. I shot the beverage a jealous look and strapped Milo's boots on, doing up the girth and adjusting the stirrup leathers. The gelding pricked his ears, the competition atmosphere flooding through his veins, and followed me willingly as I led him over to Holly. My trainer gave me a leg up and we headed towards the practise arena.

"Don't overdo it today, okay? Keep him forward but collected. I want a clean, simple, calculated round. Remember, we're just here to gain him some experience in preparation for bigger shows," Holly instructed.

"Okay," I nodded in affirmation as we reached the warm-up arena. A varying range of competitors skipped around; from green but flashy jumping ponies destined for Pony Championship success to aging OTTB's coming out of retirement for a bit of entertainment.

I walked Milo on the inside track on a long rein, encouraging him to work long and low. The gelding was already relaxed and working in an extended frame as we warmed up, and I quickly progressed to some lateral work to get him supple. We breezed through a trot shoulder-in and executed some collection transitions to get him listening and rounded.

I urged Milo into a canter, skirting the outside track before asking for a flying change down the centre line. The gelding performed it with expression and grace and I petted his muscular neck affectionately, bringing him back to walk, keen not to tire him out before the actual round begun.

"Can Miss Evans please make her way to the main arena now," a sour-faced steward informed me from the fence line. I caught Holly's gaze from where she had been observing me a few feet away and she nodded in encouragement.

I reached the arena and the faint dull pang of nerves shot through me, mingled with a surge of adrenalin. The show was small and wherever we placed had no relevance. Yet I still felt that thrill – that fire in the pit of my stomach I always felt at shows. Except today, it was combined with a fear that this round would result in the same way Harry's last show did.

Milo tugged at the bit, bringing me back to my senses as the commentator's voice boomed out. "Ladies and gentlemen, Madison Evans and Belmont's Odyssey are next in the one metre jumping class."