Chapter Twenty-Nine

{ a/n – the roughest of all chapters :( buuuut i hope y'all still vote, comment and enjoy. thanks }

♥ ♥ ♥

But Kentucky Horse Trials was never destined to be a walk in the park, and Annabel wasn't willing to let me triumph over her for long.

Two mornings after my victory over Annabel, Callum arrived at my door at precisely 7:55am, as punctual as ever. He greeted me with the kiss on the forehead and handed me a warm to-go coffee cup with the Starbucks logo printed on the side.

"You got me a coffee?" I beamed, reaching up to place a delicate kiss on his lips. He pretended to wipe it away with mock disgust, grinning at me.

"Yeah. I got up early to get us some drinks from Starbucks. I got your favourite."

"You're the sweetest," I said, kissing him again.

He smiled against my lips. "Anything for my baby."

"Anything...?" I purred, dragging each syllable out.

He rolled his eyes as we stepped into the elevator. "Well, maybe not anything..."

I giggled, falling against him and taking a sip of my drink. The syrupy bitterness of my favourite caffeinated beverage tasted so much sweeter on my lips knowing it was a gift from Callum. 

"Would you climb Mount Everest for me?" I quizzed him playfully on just how far he would be willing to go for me as the elevator descended.

He bit his lip – a hopelessly endearing gesture – as he deliberated. "Hmm. Possibly."

"Would you swim in the Great Barrier Reef for me?"

"Uh-huh. Even though I'm scared of deep water," he admitted, colour tainting his cheeks slightly.

I laughed, bumping my shoulder against his. "I can't believe you're scared of that!"

"Hey," he attempted a scowl, but adoration filled his faded denim eyes rather that anger.

"Okay...would you fly in a rocket to Neptune for me?" I raised my eyebrows, biting back a grin.

He shook his head, and we both erupted in laughter. "Sorry babe, but I wouldn't go that far for you."

The balmy breeze of the Spring morning kissed my cheeks as we arrived at Belmont. The air wasn't particularly warm, but it was the temperature of hope as the sunlight danced on the cherry blossom of the trees, the bonnet of Callum's beloved car, the stirrups of riders sauntering through the yard. I leaned across the handbrake to place a kiss on Callum's cheek and promised to catch up with him later before downing the last few mouthfuls of my coffee and leaping out the car, heading straight towards Brenna's stable.

The mare greeted me with a warm-hearted nuzzle as I entered her stall, groomed her sleek auburn coat, stretched her muscles and tacked her up. Holly was waiting for me in the outdoor arena, a gymnastics sequence assembled in the centre of the arena. She gave me a leg up and Brenna snorted as I landed in the saddle, though she didn't dart forward in fear like she would have a few months ago.

"Just a short session this time, because she's probably a bit tired after the show this weekend, even though she had a short break the last day," Holly announced in her crisp Irish accent. "But we need to work on her show jumping! Her round at that show was...tense, to say the least."

"Uh-huh," I agreed, knotting my fingers through Brenna's mane and stroking her withers.

"Warm her up!" Holly demanded. "Get her working nice and forward and relaxed."