7

Nearly two days went by, Brylie camped under a tree. She pulled a picture out of her pocket, one of her and Simon. It was a picture no one else was ever supposed to see, he made her promise him that. They were sitting on his bed, in his room. They stared at each other, and for the first time she could really see how much he cared for her with such a simple look. Even though they were facing each other, looking at one another, she could still see it. It made her happy, but her heart hurt. No one had ever cared for her the way Simon did.

She debated going back, or just letting Simon believe she was dead. It'd hurt him less if he didn't know. Either way, it would eat him away inside. That much she knew. Tears streamed down her face, she had one good thing going, and she was the one who had ultimately screwed it up in the end. There was no way Brylie could live her whole life without him knowing. There was no way she could hurt Simon like that, no way she could hurt her team like that.

She thought about the consequences of her returning, she'd be humiliated. Demoted if given mercy. Given life in federal prison, and no one ever left federal prison. The government would never ask questions, due to her case when she was ten. The whole country believed it was her fault her own family died, due to her fathers dealings in a very shady business. Either way, she was screwed.

She could make a new identity, but her new life would never be normal. It wouldn't be the same. She would never be able to live not knowing if Simon was okay. The thought of him finding another woman didn't sit well with her either.

Brylie leaned back against the tree, staring out at the night sky. The stars were shining brightly, and the warehouse was just off in the distance. No doubt Simon was sitting there staring at the picture he had taken from her room, he thought she hadn't seen him. But Brylie wasn't as clueless, absentminded, and stupid as she lead herself on to be. It was how she was used to living, it became a habit.

"It became a habit to deceive people." She frowned at her thoughts, the tears had now stopped falling. "I always fought for doing the right thing. Now is the time to do the right thing. He deserves to know...they all do. No use in grieving for someone who's been dead before they knew them."

She grabbed her rifle, slinging it over her shoulder. She took off her jacket, her patches, and her military ID out of her pockets. The pistol stayed on her hip until she arrived at her destination. The whole way there, her heart beat rapidly. Perhaps if she just left her stuff, then maybe it'd be better...

She carefully tip toed into the warehouse, and stopped when the lantern turned on. The whole team looked like they had been through hell and back. She handed the pile to Price, and held her head high as she looked at him. She had no pride left to carry.

"Take it."

"What?" Price tilted his head.

"I knew." Her voice was filled with sorrow, and her eyes merely holding any life in them. Simon gazed at her, not noticing the girl before him even though he had spent countless nights with her. "I knew his plan all along."

"You knew?" Price seemed more confused than angry.

"I've known for a few years. I pieced it together. I set off the bomb in that camp two days ago."

"You faked your own death?" Soap asks softly. "Why?"

"I had to kill him." She answered, switching her eyes to Soap and then to Simon. "I did it for Simon."

"But I thought-" Soap began. Price held up his hand and cut him off.

"We would have been able to stop him if you had told us-"