Chapter three

THE NEXT MORNING, I DRESSED myself in the uniform of the Selected: black pants, white shirt, and my province flower-a Rose-in my hair

THE NEXT MORNING, I DRESSED myself in the uniform of the Selected: black pants, white shirt, and my province flower-a Rose-in my hair. My shoes I got to pick. I chose by best pair, to show I can be a princess.We were set to leave for the square shortly. Each of the Selected was getting a send-off in her home province today, and I wasn't looking forward to mine. All those people staring while I did nothing more than stand there. The whole thing already felt ridiculous, as I had to be driven the two short miles for security reasons. My brothers were ecstatic, Cain was running around with a crown made out of paper on his head while Abel was sitting next to me doing Maxon impressions, amie was doing my hair, she always had a knack for making it look pretty. I let Amie go in the car with me as we drove to the province centre. when I stepped into the crowded square. It seemed like everyone in the province of Whites came out to see me off. Or just see what the big deal was. Standing on the raised stage, I could see the boundaries between the castes. Sansa Stark was a Three, and she and her parents were staring daggers at me. Cersei Baratheon was a Seven, and she was blowing kisses. The upper castes looked at me like I'd stolen something that was theirs. The Fours on down were cheering for me-an average girl who'd been elevated. I became aware of what I meant to everyone here, as if I represented something for all of them. I tried to focus in on those faces, holding my head high. I was determined to do this well. I would be the best of us, the Highest of the Lows. It gave me a sense of purpose. Florence Lannister: the champion of the lower castes.

The mayor spoke with a flourish. "And Whites will be cheering on the beautiful daughter of Marie and Eddard Lannister, the new Lady Florence Lannister" The crowd clapped and cheered. Some threw flowers. I took in the sound for a moment, smiling and waving, I had never felt this sense of joy, I was an inspiration to people, people I had never met, yet they wanted me as their queen, that was powerful. "Ladies and gentlemen, please join me in sending off Florence Lannister, our favorite Daughter of Illea!" the mayor called. Behind me, a small band played the national anthem. More cheers, more flowers. Suddenly the mayor was at my ear. "Would you like to say something, dear?" I wanted to, but I couldn't find the words. "Thanks but I wouldn't know where to start!" I say back.He cupped my hands in his. "Of course, dear girl. Don't you worry, I'll take care of everything. They'll train you for this kind of thing at the palace. You'll need it." The mayor then told the gathered crowd of my attributes, slyly mentioning that I was very intelligent and attractive for a Five. He didn't seem too bad a guy, but sometimes even the nicer members of the upper castes were condescending. The mayor finished speaking, and I smiled and everyone cheered, as if he'd just given the most inspiring speech known to man.

And suddenly it was time to say good-bye. Amie looked devastated to see me go, she was trying hard not to cry in-front of the crowds. "Win for me, Flo." She says and I give her a huge hug. "Oh amie don't! Your going to make me cry!" I say fanning my eyes. "Oh darling! Do well In the capital, I hope you and the price fall in love!" Mom says hugging me too. "Florence, your the daughter of a five, don't let the other girls belittle you for that fact. Castes shouldn't mean anything. I do hope your happy in angels." Dad whispers as he hugs me, I nod. "There is it everyone! Lady Florence Lannister on her way to the Capital of Angels! Wish her luck!" The mayor says as I get into the car.

I WAS THE SECOND ONE AT THE AIRPORT. I was already missing my family, I didn't know how long it would be until I see them again. They are the only thing I love in this world. I couldn't get them out of my head, how would my brothers cope? They relied on me for income, they were too young to work so I worked on their behalf. I guess the money covered that but what will they do without their older sister, amie isn't that much older, who will they go to for advice? I may not see them for a long time and that broke my heart. I couldn't let this cloud the day, I should be the most happy girl on earth, it's time to meet the other girl.

I see a ginger girl facing a wall, she looks sad, maybe she's homesick too. I put on my biggest smile as she turned and saw me. "Hi, I'm America!" She says smiling. "I'm Florence! I know you, your one of the other fives!" I say giving her a hug, she looked surprised. "Oh!" She exhaled. We didn't get much time alone as two more girls entered. They looked like the happiest girls on earth, the girls I inspired to be. "Hi! I'm Florence!" I say extending my arm to both of them, the blue eyed girl shook it cautiously and the brown eyed girl ignored it and pulled me in for a hug. "I know! I'm Marlee and this is Ashley!" She says smiling, she looked genuine. There both Northern, maybe that's why they arrived together. Ashley looked more reserved and posh compared to Marlee, she was cheerful, enthusiastic i liked that about her. "I love your hair!" Marlee gushed to America. "I wish I'd been born with red hair. It makes you look so alive. I hear that people with red hair have bad tempers. Is that true?"  "I don't think so. I mean, I can have a bad temper at times, but my sister is a redhead, and she's as sweet as can be." America says and we all laugh, well me and Marlee, Ashley just smiled. With that we settled into an easy conversation about what got us mad and what always fixed our moods. Marlee liked movies, and so did I, though I rarely got to see them. We talked about actors who were unbearably attractive, which seemed strange since we were off to be Maxon's pack of girlfriends. Ashley giggled every once in a while but never more than that. If she was asked a direct question, she'd give a brief answer and go back to her guarded smile.

Marlee and I got along easily, and it gave me hope that maybe I'd come out of this with a friend to show for it. Though we talked for probably half an hour, the time flew by. We wouldn't have stopped talking except for the distinct sound of high heels clicking across the floor. Our heads all turned in unison, and I heard Marlee's mouth open with a pop. There, walking toward us, was a brunette with sunglasses on. She had a daisy in her hair, but it had been dyed red to match her lipstick. Her hips swayed as she walked, and each fall of her three-inch heels accentuated her confident stride. Unlike Marlee and Ashley, she didn't smile. But it wasn't because she was unhappy. No, she was focused. Her entrance was meant to inspire intimidation. And it worked on ladylike Ashley, who I heard breathe an "Oh, no" as the new girl walked closer. This person, who I recognized as Celeste Newsome of Clermont, Two, didn't bother me. She assumed we were fighting for the same thing. But you can't be pushed if it's something you don't want. Celeste finally reached us, and Marlee squeaked out a hello, trying to be friendly even in the midst of intimidation. Celeste merely looked her over and sighed. I didn't want to bother with this girl, and she clearly didn't want to bother with me."When do we leave?" she asked. "We don't know," America answered without a hint of fear. "You've been holding up the show." She didn't like that at all, she gave me an amused look and when I didn't respond she death stared America . She wasn't impressed. "Sorry, quite a few people wanted to see me off. I couldn't help it." She smiled wide, as if it was obvious she was meant to be worshipped. And I was about to surround myself with girls like this. Great.