Chapter Four

As if on cue, a man appeared through the door to our left

As if on cue, a man appeared through the door to our left. "I hear all four of our Selected girls are here?" "We sure are," Celeste replied sweetly. The man sort of melted a little, you could see it in his eyes. She knew exactly how to play the game.The captain paused a moment and then snapped to. "Well. Ladies, if you'll just follow me, we'll get you on the plane and off to your new home." The flight, which was really only terrifying during the takeoff and landing, lasted a few short hours. We were offered movies and food, but all I wanted to do was look out the window. I watched the country from above, amazed at just how big it all was. Celeste chose to sleep through the flight, which was a small mercy. Ashley had a foldout desk set up and was already writing letters about her adventure. That was smart of her to pack paper. Amie wouldn't care for letters, she hates reading especially if there boring, she would only care about the Prince, and the dresses.
"She's so elegant," Marlee whispered to me and America tilting her head toward Ashley. We were sitting across from each other in plush seats in the very front of the small plane. "From the moment we met, she's been nothing but proper. She's going to be tough competition," she said with a sigh. "You can't think about it that way," America says. "Yes, you're trying to make it to the end, but not by beating someone else. You've just got to be you. Who knows? Maybe Maxon would prefer someone more relaxed."
I jump into the conversation,"I guess that's a good point. It's hard to not like her. She's awfully kind. And so beautiful." Marlee nods in agreement, "Celeste, on the other hand..." America's eye widen"I know. It's only been an hour, and I'm already looking forward to her going home." Marlee covered her mouth to hide a laugh. "I don't want to talk badly about anyone, but she's so aggressive. And Maxon's not even around yet. I'm a little nervous about her."

"Don't be," I assured her. "Girls like that? They'll take themselves out of the competition." Marlee sighed. "I hope so. Sometimes I wish..." "What?"
"Well, sometimes I wish that the Twos had an idea about what it felt like to be treated the way they treat us." America nodded. I'd never really thought of myself being on the same level as a Four, but I guess we were in a similar place. If you weren't a Two or Three, it was just varying shades of bad. "Thanks for talking to me," she said. "I was worried that everyone would just be out for themselves, but you and Ashley have been really nice. Maybe this will be fun." Her voice lifted with hope. I wished she was right, some girls wouldn't be like us.

When we landed, the air was silent as we walked the distance from the plane to the terminal with guards at our side. But once the doors were opened, we were met with ear-shattering screams. The terminal was full of people jumping and cheering. A path had been cleared for us with a golden carpet lined with coordinating rope barriers. At regular intervals along this channel were guards, looking around anxiously and poised to strike at the first hint of danger. Surely there were more important things they should be doing? Luckily, Celeste was in front, and she started waving. I knew immediately that that was the right response, not the cowering I had been considering. And since the cameras were there to catch our every move, I was doubly glad I hadn't been leading the pack. The crowd was wild with joy. These would be the people we lived the closest to, and they were all looking forward to catching the first glimpses of the girls coming to town. One of us would be their queen someday. I turned my head a dozen times in a matter of seconds as people called my name from all over the packed terminal. There were signs with my name on them, too. I was amazed. Already there were people here-people not in my caste or from my province-who hoped it would be me. I felt a little roll of guilt in my stomach that I would let them all down. I decided to put on a show, America had already started signing autographs why shouldn't I do the same.