Chapter Six

EVERYONE WAS STARING AT DINNER

EVERYONE WAS STARING AT DINNER. looked up from my plate once to see Kriss Ambers twirling her fork menacingly. And Ashley, who was so ladylike, had her lips pouted and didn't speak to me. I just wanted to escape to my room. I didn't understand why it was all so important. So the people seemed to like me, so what? They were outranked in here; their little signs and cheers didn't matter. After everything was said and done, I didn't know whether to feel honored or annoyed. I focused my energies on the food. The last time I'd had steak was for Christmas a few years ago. I knew Mom did her best, but it was nothing like this. So juicy, so tender, so flavorful. I wanted to ask someone else if this wasn't the best steak they'd ever had. If Marlee had been nearby, I would have. I took a tentative peek around the room. Marlee was chattering quietly with the people around her. How did she manage to do that? Hadn't that same clip declared her one of the immediate favorites? How did she get people to talk to her? Dessert was an assortment of fruits in vanilla ice cream. It was like I'd never eaten before. If this was food, what had I been putting in my mouth up to this point? I thought of Amie and her equal love for all things sweet. She would have loved this. I bet she would have excelled here. We weren't allowed to leave dinner until everyone had finished, and after that we were under strict orders to go straight to bed. "You'll be meeting Prince Maxon in the morning, and you'll want to look your best," Silvia instructed. "He is someone in this room's future husband, after all."A few girls sighed at the thought. The click and clack of shoes up the stairs was quieter this time around. I couldn't wait to get out of mine. Out of the dress, too. I had one set of clothes from home in my backpack and was debating putting them on just to feel like myself for a moment.

As I got to my hallway Marlee pulled me aside. "Are you okay? You looked upset at dinner." She said as Natalie entered her room. "Yes. It's just that some of the girls were looking at me funny during dinner." I tried not to come across as whiny."They're just a little nervous because everyone liked you so much," she said, waving off their behavior. "But the people liked you, too. I saw the signs. Why weren't the girls being mean to you?" "You haven't spent a whole lot of time with groups of girls, have you?" She was smiling slyly, like I should know what was happening. "Not really, I have a best friend but she's my only friend, I never got on with most girls." I say shrugging. "Well, I get tutored with a bunch of other Fours back home, all girls, and they each have their ways of getting under other people's skin. See, it's all about knowing the person, figuring out what will bug them the most. Lots of girls give me backhanded compliments, or little remarks, things like that. I know I come across as bubbly, but I'm shy underneath that, and they think they can wear me down with words." I scrunched my forehead. They did that on purpose? "For a girl like you, they think they can belittle your confidence by making you feel paranoid and that makes people quiet." Marlee says, that makes sense. "Thank you. Truly." I say as we depart for our rooms

My maids were there, of course, waiting to help me wash and undress. My nightgown, a flimsy little green thing, had been laid out for me on the bed. Kindly, none of them had touched my bag. They were efficient but purposeful. They obviously had this end-of-the-day routine down, but they didn't rush through it. I suppose the effect was meant to be soothing, but I was ready to have them gone. I couldn't speed them up as they washed my hands and unlaced my dress and pinned my silver name tag to my silken nightgown. And as they did all these things that made me incredibly self-conscious, they asked questions. I tried to answer them without being rude I just hated the fact they were here to serve, I don't want maids.Yes, I'd finally seen all the other girls. No, they weren't very talkative. Yes, dinner was fantastic. No, I wouldn't meet the prince until tomorrow. Yes, I was very tired. "And it would really help me wind down if I could have some time alone," I added to the end of that last answer, hoping they would take the hint. They looked disappointed. I tried to recover. "You're all very helpful. I'm just used to spending time alone. And I've been swarmed with people today." "But Lady Lannister, we're supposed to help you. It's our job," the head girl said. I'd figured out that she was Grace. Grace seemed to be on top of things, Nicole was easygoing, and Poppy I guessed was just shy. "I really do appreciate you all, and I'll definitely want your help getting started tomorrow. But tonight, I just need to unwind. If you want to be helpful, some time to myself would be good for me. And if you're all rested, I'm sure it will make things better in the morning, right?" I say trying to make sense, I just hated the fact I had to rely on these woman. They looked at one another. "Well, I suppose so," Grace acquiesced. "One of us is supposed to stay here while you sleep. In case you need something." Poppy looked nervous, like she was afraid of whatever decision I would make. She seemed to have little tremors now and then, which I guessed was her shyness coming to the surface. "If I need anything, I'll ring the bell. It'll be fine. Besides, I won't be able to rest knowing someone's watching me." They looked at one another again, still a little skeptical. I knew one way to stop this, but I hated using it. "You're supposed to obey my every command, right?" They nodded hopefully. "Then I command you all to go to bed. And come help me in the morning. Please." Grace smiled. I could tell she was starting to get me. "Yes, Lady Lannister. We'll see you in the morning." They curtsied and quietly left the room. Grace gave me one last look. I supposed I wasn't quite what she had been expecting. She didn't seem too upset about it, though.

Once they were gone,I took the few photos I had of my family and stuck them in the edge of my mirror. It stretched so high and wide, I could look at the pictures without having anything interrupt my view of myself. I had a small box of personal trinkets-earrings and ribbons and headbands I loved. They'd probably look incredibly plain here, but they were all so personal that I'd had to have them with me. The few books I'd brought found their way to the helpful shelf near the doors that opened to my balcony. I peeked out the entry to the balcony and saw the garden. There was a maze of paths with fountains and benches. Flowers blossomed everywhere, and each hedge was perfectly trimmed. Past this obviously manicured piece of land was a short, open field and then a massive forest. It stretched back so far that I couldn't tell if it was entirely closed in by palace walls. I wondered for a moment why it existed and then debated the last article from home that I held in my hand. I never really liked gardens, they were cute and all but I just hated the outdoors, but this looked elegant, not somewhere I would be spending my hours though. I decided to get into bed, that's where the homesickness started. I never had a room to myself, I always shared with Amie, it was lonely without her snoring, as much as I hated it. I might be back with her soon, the other girls hate me. America and Marlee don't but that's 2 out of 34 girls. I decided to walk around the palace. I needed to find inspiration for my next painting. I barely noticed the guards. I didn't know my way around the palace but I didn't need it, I looked at all of the portraits around the castle, they had loads of the old royal families, I stopped at the one of Queen Amberley, King Clarkson and Prince Maxon, it felt weird knowing I would meet them tomorrow.

"It's a fine piece isn't it?" A voice from behind my says. I figured it must be a guard. "I think so too, the artist must be talented don't you think?" I say admiring it. "When it was painted I had to stand still for hours, but it was worth it for this piece." The voice said, it all clicked. "Oh my, your the Prince!" I said finally turning around and seeing his face. He was more attractive in person. I quickly curtsied. "Oh don't bother with the formalities." He says and I nod. "Ok." I say getting up quickly. "What's your name." He asked. "Wow price Maxon, you chose me and you don't remember my name? I expected more." I say jokingly, that was an awful idea, he might not understand the humour. Luckily he let out a laugh. "Forgive me, I must pay more attention." He says holding out his hand. "Florence Lannister." I say and he nods. "Well Florence Lannister, you have made a good impression, don't tell the others we met, we're not meant to meet until tomorrow." He says winking. "I won't tell a soul don't you worry." I wink back. "Why are you out of your room Florence Lannister?" He says standing next to me. "Finding my inspiration." I reply and he looks amused. "Really? What for?" He says. "I'm an artist, it's my trade. I wanted to find inspiration for my next piece, i wanted to see my competition." I say and he laughs again. "I sure hope your artwork amounts to this, maybe you could be the royal Painter if your that good." They sounded like a challenge. "Are you challenging me Prince Maxon?" I say playfully, I've already gone this far, why not take it further. "Oh I would never dream of it." He replies, trying not to smile. "Maybe you can be my inspiration. I'll take up your offer." I say before winking and walking away. "Goodnight Prince Maxon." I say and he looks back at me. "Goodnight Florence Lannister."