Chapter 5: Courting

Someone was knocking on Enola's bedroom door and they just wouldn't stop. When Enola opened it, she saw Tewksbury with a worried look on his face.

"Tewksbury! What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be sleeping comfortably in bed?"

"I came here because I wanted to sleep here. My mother keeps trying to set me up with some other women instead of you because, well, you know why."

"But I don't have a couch or a separate bed for you to sleep on!"

"I wasn't going to sleep on them. I was thinking of sleeping next to you. After all, we are courting." Enola didn't know what to say so she let him in but she put a bunch of pillows in between them so nothing would happen like last time.

"Why must you place pillows in between the bed?"

I have done that so what happened last time won't happen again."

"Well, shouldn't we be off to bed by now? We can discuss this in the morning." And with that, Tewksbury and Enola hopped onto the bed and slept. 

...

Later in the night, she found Tewksbury on top of her, looking at her caringly.

"What are you doing? I thought we agreed to keep some distance." Enola whispered quietly as Tewksbury started to kiss her. Enola was taken aback but she had slowly gotten used to his way of doing things. They continued on until they heard Tewksbury's mother knock on the door.

"Hello? Miss Holmes? Could you kindly open the door, I need to apologize for my mix-up earlier. Oh no! If Lady Tewksbury saw what was happening between them, she could send her away and have Tewksbury marry another woman.

"Quick! You have to hide! We can't have your mother see this!" She pushed Tewksbury under the bed and quickly put on a coat and opened the door.

"Sorry to have you waiting but I was just getting dressed for breakfast. And I'm totally ok with what happened earlier."

"Ah! Well, I suppose I better get going and tell the servants to make us breakfast! Toodles!"

"Well, that was close! How about we continue with what was happening earlier?"

"Gladly." Tewksbury pushed her against the wall and kissed her so hard that Enola didn't even notice how much time went by.