The storm was fierce. His horse's hoofs sank into the muddy road with every step. The Valkan surveyed the crossroads with the annoyance of the rain battering his fair light-skinned face. He succumbed to the storm. Lanterns illuminated the inn across the road, music, and chatter were thumping against his impressive hearing. He fed his horse under a shed beside the inn before entering. The inn felt homely with a log-filled fireplace warming the visitors. A grimy old fellow blew into a flute with another twisting his fingers on a cittern. The place smelled of damp wood and ale. The Valkan positioned himself at the counter in search of the innkeeper. A man left the visitors as loudly as possible with laughter, approaching the Valkan.

'What can I get ya?' he asked with an exuberant smile, revealing his yellow teeth.

'Water,' Daarion pulled his hood back, revealing his handsome features and his shoulder-length black locks.

'Water ey?' the man's smile disappeared. 'On a night like this?'

'Aye,' Daarion replied.

'Come now,' the innkeeper grimaced, 'a storm like this is meant for drinking.'

'Maybe to you,' Daarion said.

'Oh, very well,' the innkeeper ruffled through bottles behind the counter. He slammed a large bottle of water along with a wooden cup on the counter. 'Here.'

'How much will that be?' Daarion ruffled through his satchel.

'Nothin',' The innkeeper snorted. 'Round here, water costs nothin'.'

Daarion smirked.

'If that would be all,' the innkeeper dug a finger in his ear. 'I'd like to return to my guests.'

The guests were clearly sloshed with plenty of alcohol, if the smell didn't give it away, their inaudible rambling would've.

'There's one more thing,' Daarion said. 'Can you point me in the direction of Riverwatch?'

'Riverwatch?' the innkeeper said. 'What brings you to Riverwatch?'

'Business,' Daarion took a sip of water.

'Business?' the innkeeper said mockingly. 'Not to be ill-mannered, but you appear to be a bit young to be a businessman.'

'And what should a businessman's appearance look like?' Daarion took another sip.

'I don't know, maybe a bit of grey hair would help.'

'Hmm,' Daarion drank the remainder of the water in the cup.

'So what business, young lad?' the innkeeper asked.

'You're a nosy fellow, aren't you?'

'If I wasn't as nosy, my inn wouldn't be this full,' the innkeeper grinned.

'It is quite busy, for a secluded inn that is.'

'It sure is,' the innkeeper leaned in. 'You see, storms like these bring these lads together. They tell their wifey, their families that they're going into town or some other excuse, but they come here. The storm holds them here till morning, they'll tell their family that they had to spend the night at an inn or at some other lodging. And let me tell you, storms like these fill my pockets immensely.'

'Quite the scheme you have here,' Daarion filled his cup.

'Scheme?' the innkeeper stood with disgust. 'This is good business.'

Daarion stared down the innkeeper. The innkeeper leaned in again.

'Now tell me,' the innkeeper whispered, 'what brings you to Riverwatch?'

Daarion peered over his shoulders. 'A manticore,' Daarion said faintly.

'A manticore?' the innkeeper laughed. 'At Riverwatch?'

Daarion drank. The guests did not bother themselves with the laughter of their host.

'There hasn't been any creature in these parts for ten years,' the innkeeper said. 'The last creature was a basilisk roaming about, though a Valkan took care of it quite swiftly.'

Daarion stared at the euphoric innkeeper with intent. The innkeeper pieced together that Daarion wasn't lying.

'Wait,' the innkeeper mumbled softly, 'you're telling the truth?'

Daarion nodded.

'How have you come of this information?' the innkeeper asked curiously.

'I was sent this task, this contract if you would call it that, by a resident in Riverwatch,' Daarion said. 'It intrigued me. Though it seems unlikely, I couldn't turn it down.'

'A contract, you say?' the innkeeper's eyes lit up. 'You're a Valkan, are you not?'

'I am,' Daarion pulled the innkeeper closer. 'Be quiet, I can do with the unwanted attention and the smell of vomity breath on my neck.'

The innkeeper nodded nervously.

'If you would please be so kind to point me in the direction of Riverwatch,' Daarion drank.

'There's a post at the edge of the crossroads,' the innkeeper said, 'rather difficult to see at night, more so with the storm. But it'll point you in the right direction.'

'Was that so hard?' Daarion said sarcastically.

'I do not recommend going out in the storm tonight,' the innkeeper said. 'We have some fine establishments if you'd be willing to spend the night, though not as grand as you're likely used to.'

'I have a horse,' Daarion said, 'I can't leave it under that shed.'

'There's a stable round back. Your horse would be safe there.'

'I'll sleep in the stable as well,' Daarion said.

'Are you certain, Valkan, sir?'

'I am,' Daarion said. 'How much would it cost?'

'Uncertain on that.' the innkeeper stroked his rugged beard, 'I've never had someone voluntarily spend the night in the stables.'

'How much is the normal accommodation?' Daarion asked.

'Four copper pieces.'

'Here,' Daarion ruffled through his satchel, pulling four copper pieces out and placing them on the counter. 'To fill your pockets.'

Daarion spent the night in the stable along with his horse, Autumn. He cleaned his wet armour and sharpened his swords that he kept on the cart. He was tired, the trek from the mountain forge left him weary. He slept well, well enough for a person to sleep on a pile of hay under a creaking roof.