PART 2: I

They stood in the hallway, awaiting the queen's word. Ava called the three in the early morning hours, waking the princess from her slumber. Called Daarion, who was already up, spellbound by the rising sun over the city. And as for the other dragon, he was sleeping cosily on a table within his tavern, undoubtedly fully entertained by the previous night's treat.

The two lovers already waited in the hallway, having their ears clear for the queen's call.

Daarion stood beside her, having her arm entwined with his.

'Slept well, my dragon?' she looked up at him, flickering her eyelashes at him; her sight was of a painting to him.

'Somewhat,' he said, staring down at her. 'After this matter, would you join me for a walk down to the meadows beyond the farmlands?'

Her eyes brightened. 'I'll bring wine, oh and a basket of fruits and cheese, and sweet bread—I know how fond you are of it.'

'Sounds lovely, Tess,' he said, giving her a peck on her soft lips.

Steps neared, however not careless, nor in quite a hurry. Daarion could already smell his friend down the hall. Sweat and the culmination of various alcohols mixed together. But luckily for Erwan, he was a Valkan, and no alcohol could affect him.

'So why have the queen called upon us?' Erwan asked, brushing his golden long locks to the side.

'We're not sure on that either,' Tessriel said with a hint of elation in her voice, 'but we do suspect she'll send us on our first task.'

'Then why am I bloody here?' Erwan said calmly. 'You're her right hand, I see no reason for me being here.'

'You're just scared of the queen,' Daarion grinned.

'What if I am?' Erwan blew away a strand of wandering locks from his face. 'She's like a furious Zheng, not even food can cool her tongue.'

The princess looked up at Daarion. 'Zheng? What is that?'

'A cat-like creature,' Daarion answered, 'larger than the largest tiger. They have five tails, and they have a noticeable thick-bladed single horn on their head. They were once used as protectors of the elven kingdom, on the borders of their woods, Reliath. They are rather affectionate towards us if we do feed them of course.'

Her eyes widened with wonderment, only imagining the magnificence of the beast. 'We should leave for Reliath as soon as we can, I want to see this cat with my own eyes.'

'Sadly, Tess,' Daarion said, 'they're mostly not seen anymore. They live far within the woods, away from any living soul. They're still in the elven woods, however, seeing one in those woods will truly be difficult.'

Her eyes sank, and her head rested on his shoulder, pouting.

He noticed, giving a faint smile to lift her spirits again. 'On the island of Leria, where the dark elves live, it is rumoured that they still have the Zheng as protectors. Maybe someday you'll look upon them there.'

She smiled again, dreaming of the day she'll travel the world, and see all the grand sights—with him.

Erwan huffed under a heavy breath. 'Dark elves. What filth, the mere thought of them signifies the wrongs of the past.'

She lifted her head and stood straight, ready for a brawl with words. 'And should the past just be neglected? Looked over and be forgotten, where we do not learn from mistakes?'

'All I'm saying princess,' Erwan retorted, 'what have they ever done for the good of any? They are proof that even the mightiest can make mistakes and mistakes that should've been undone.'