III

The sun's rays were shining lavishly through the thicket of trees. The road was still muddy from the night before, and as the day drew on, the mud began to dry up and crack from the heat of the sun. Autumn's hoofs were flinging mud with every step. Though Daarion was calm, the water drops surrounding him set him more at ease. His journey to Riverwatch was not as tiresome as the day before, it was shorter as well, and at midday, the sight of the large town lay before him a distant way off. A narrow river was sparkling just a mere stone's throw away from the town. As for the town, it could've easily been mistaken for a small city, though it was not brimming with life like one, it had a gloomy feel to it, as if a dark cloud set itself upon it.

'Hold on!' a loud, yet welcoming voice came from the forest.

Daarion turned in his seat. A slender boy with short dark hair came running towards him, he was no older than fifteen in Daarion's eyes.

'I was waiting,' the boy breathed heavily from the short run.

'Catch your breath,' Daarion said.

'Yes, sir,' the boy panted.

'Come on up,' Daarion scooted over, making space on the cart for the boy.

'Oh, thank you, sir,' the boy climbed eagerly on.

'What's your name?' Daarion shook the reins, signalling for Autumn to walk on.

'Kyle, sir,' the boy said.

'Call me Daarion,' the Valkan said. 'Quite the welcome you gave me.'

'Yes,' Kyle breathed slower, 'I was waiting for you on the edge of the forest, it seems that I fell asleep. But no matter, I have finally met a Valkan.'

'You know who I am?' Daarion looked at the boy.

'Oh yes,' the boy spoke fast with excitement. 'The whole of Riverwatch knows you are coming.'

They entered the town too easily. Houses reached over and high above them. The streets were oddly quiet, even though there were citizens going about their day.

'No guards at the entrance?' Daarion asked.

'Not today, it seems,' the boy said.

'Not today, you say,' Daarion said. 'What about other days?'

'I apologize, sir Daarion,' Kyle said quickly, 'I cannot say more.'

'Hmm,' Daarion examined the townsfolk and the town's wooden buildings. 'You said all the people know that I'm coming, correct?'

'Yes,' Kyle said.

'How come no one seems to be excited one bit?' Daarion's voice became softer. 'It's quite odd, in particular the unguarded entrance.'

'I cannot say anything on those matters,' the boy jumped from the cart, 'this is where I'm off, I live near the edge of town, the one with the repulsive yellow roof, if you ever want to have some fine company. It was an honour to meet you, Daarion.'

Daarion nodded. The boy ran off, leaving a muddy trail.

Daarion approached a tall wooden wall. The wall was surrounding the town hall and some large wealthy-looking homes. Daarion was bewildered by the choice of having a wall surrounding the town hall and not the town itself.

Two filthy men opened the gate. 'What brings you here, traveler?' one asked before he spat.

Daarion said nothing, he stared at the ugly man with distaste.

'He's the Valkan the warden told us about,' the other guard said, 'let 'em in.'

Daarion entered. He jumped from the cart, leaving Autumn for a moment as she munched on a small patch of grass amongst the mud. The Valkan studied the area. Guards—however at the look of them they seemed more to be mercenaries, filthy, thick arms, and leathery faces. All had eyes on Daarion, attempting to be intimidating, gargling on their slime, picking their teeth with a sharp knife, some stood a way off, boasting with their tanned muscly skin.