VIII

'They gave me my own room,' he said in her doorway. 'Not as big as yours, still, my very own room.'

She grinned as she brushed her damp hair. 'Well, you are going to live in the castle from now on.'

He neared, sitting beside her. The room was dimly lit with some candles, the sun slowly creeping away from her opened balcony door, and steam from a fresh bath heated the air.

'It's all moving so fast,' he brushed his hair to the side. 'Some weeks ago, I was alone on a mountain, now I'm sleeping in a king's home. And with all the good that's brought upon me, at the back of my head—I still struggle to see how I deserve it.'

She dropped her brush, turned to him, and wrapped her hands over his. 'You've trained for years. You're the best of all of them, you do truly deserve it.'

'Even with all that, I did wrong. Wrongs that cannot be undone. I know with this burden of being a Valkan brings heavy decisions upon me. I just wish I knew that before.'

'So do all who travel a new journey. It is up to them if a new path is worth traveling, worth the struggles, worth the pain, the love. And nevertheless, you are here now, with me, I can count you quite fortunate.'

They snickered at her self-confident remark, even if it was little scoff.

'Also,' she continued, 'in some days you'll be my dragon. All your decisions will be mine, then we can cry together.' She gave a warm grin, easing the concerns that lurked in his mind.

He turned his head, seeing her fair face, a silhouette before orange clouds prying far away. She leaned in, a kiss and heavy breaths ensued. He fondled upward, attempting to remove her thin, glistening, mauve nightgown.

She recoiled, whispering.  'Not tonight, Daarion. You ought to sleep in your own bed tonight. Not that I do not want it, my mother revealed that she knew we've been... intimate.'

He nodded, not wanting to agitate a lioness in her own home. 'It might be for the best. Does your father know?'

'I doubt it, otherwise, you would've been on the other side of the kingdom by now,' she gave a smirk.

'Well then,' he stood, handling her hand in his, giving it a small peck. 'Until I see you tomorrow, m'lady.'

His room was not far off from hers, able to be by her side in moments. As for the room, as rough as they were the stone walls kept it cool. A small balcony far above the docks gave him a painting-like view every morning and every evening. He was given a bath, a large bed, riddled with unneeded cushions, which he just lobbed to one side of the room, never to be used again. A wobbly drawer was set in the room as well, even though he only had a handful of clothing.

•                 •                 •

From atop the cliff, with the towers looming above, he stood. One by one the ships docked, spewing out lords and ladies from all over the kingdoms. A long elven ship approached, docking silently. Its sails were of dark juniper, large, and most importantly light. The ship itself was shaped in a figure of a leaf, dark in colour, signifying the ship's elvish wood's grace. Out stepped a pale elf, tall in stature, dark locks reaching nearly to his hips. His sharp nose mirrored his pointy ears. And on his sides stepped out, two poised elven maidens, dressed as if queens, surely indulged in the riches of their superior.

'I see the elven prince has arrived,' Erwan groaned from behind, approaching slowly. 'The gloating bastard.'

'Erwan,' Daarion turned his head, 'haven't seen you in days.'

'Aye,' Erwan said, 'as you remember, I have a tavern here. I had to do some entertaining.'

'I suppose you already know who'll all be at my coronation?'