CHAPTER THREE

It has been two weeks since I attended Axel and Rose's wedding ceremony and witnessed how they exchange vows at the altar and how lovely their wedding was.

It's crazy how fast time goes by, but it's crazier that I still have time to think about a lot of absurd things despite being a doctor and dealing with patients on my daily basis.

"Why didn't he follow me on
Instagram? Did I give him the wrong name?" "Did he forget it?" I thought for a sec then became agitated.

"Jean, please stop! Can't you understand? He's already married! Why are you behaving like a stupid floozy? What are you want? Become his mistress?" I spoke to myself.

Ever since he came back to this city, my mind hasn't been able to find any rest. Like why would he decided to held his wedding ceremony here? He left for like more than a decade.

I turned to stare at the ground view from the 26th floor of my room in the hospital. I could see thousands of cars coming in and going out. Just like people, just like him. I could feel the way the sun's rays illuminated my face in a way to how our memories shone in my head.

Maybe we can never unlove someone.
Someone who once became the center of our universe. Someone who brought us happiness, who made us feel special, who accepted our flaws and insufficiency and with whom we trade good memories.

But I realized that we could still be happy for them without including ourselves from their narrative.

My contemplation came to an end when I heard someone's voice inside my space. I quickly turned around and shifted my emotion.

A man in his mid-thirties wearing his white lab coat entered carrying a box of cookies. It's the Medical Director.

"For you, Jean." He smiled and offered me box.

"Doc Ken, you don't have to do this." I uttered.

"I know, I know you can't like me back, and you don't have to reciprocate it. Just let me love you, Jean." he pleased politely

I felt cringe with his words. He has been acting this way for months and he persists in doing this almost every day, although we have already discussed it but he was so adamant and stubborn.

"Like you literally came here every day and gave me a bunch of cookies and chocolates. Do you really want me to develop diabetes?" I chuckled a little, he then laughed.

"You got some humor uh. Anyway, I was wondering if we could go on a date tomorrow night?" he suggested.

My smile quickly disappeared as my eyes widened.

"Uhm, Sorry doc but I can't. I do have an appointment for operations with my patients."

"No problem Jean, we'll make it next time." he said and went off.

______________________________________

Axel's POV

I was overjoyed and grateful to be married to the woman I adored. The woman who never left my side, who helped me recover from the wound I endured years before, and who fixed and made me whole again.

Rose and I met 2 years ago in our military camp. I was a marine officer and she was a combat medic.

As I was alone in the barracks underneath the tree contemplating with my life. She sat down next to me and started up a conversation.

"Why are you alone here officer?" she questioned.

"Nothing. I just want some mental quiet time." I replied.

"Do you miss home? I can tell by the look on your face that you're kind of miserable."

"No, but I did miss somebody."

"I bet you're girlfriend?" she asked with a slight laughed.

"my ex."

Our friendship began there and we almost talk every day in camp. I was single for a very long time but as months go by, my friendship with Rose slowly turned into a romantically relationship and It worked for both of us.

I caress her hair as we are twisted in bed and ask, "I can't believe it's been weeks since we got married baby. What do you want to eat for dinner, my wifey?"

"How about we go out tonight?' she said.

"I haven't explore this city yet and I heard there's a famous restaurant here that goes by the name of "Ottimo Italian Resto"; how about... we watch movies at the theater first, then go there after." she added.

"I'm up for it." I agreed.

The moment we arrived at the theatre, there was a nostalgic feeling and longing that embraced me. It's been ages since stepped into this place. I used to visit here with someone before, to have fun and to live youthfully. A decade feels like yesterday. I could still hear our raucous laughter, the noise from arcade, the smell of it and how fun it was.

Then it clicked into my mind, I thought of Jean. There was a weird feeling and a sudden urge from my body that want to see her face again.

"Babe? The movie starts in a minute. Let's go inside." Rose interjects and grabbed my hand.

After the film was over, we drove to Ottimo Italian Restaurant. After more than ten years, I could taste their tasty italian food again. Rose and I sat face to face and felt the coziness of the place. But the more time I kept on staring at her, the more I remembered and thought of Jean.

I usually go here with her after we watch theater long years ago. This is our favorite restaurant and I could still recall her favorite dish, the Italian onion osso buco.

why am I having deja vu?

This is not right. It was not a good idea to take rose here.

After a short while, the waiter came over and handed us the menu.

"Wow, Italian cuisine. She said as she perused the list, "I love Italian foods." She seems to have fun and like it.

I was looking around the dining establishment. Nothing has changed. The background and the design are still the same. I can still feel a vintage italian vibe from it. Even the paint of Mona Lisa are still hanged on the same wall.

"I want to try this one, Italian Onion Osso buco." She spoke.

My mouth drops open in surprised at all the coincidences that were happening.

Then I recalled the scene from my wedding day where I spoke to Jean.

There was an indescribable happiness when we eye to eye and heard her
voice again that day.

It seems like I have rediscovered a portion of my joy or the missing puzzle I sought for a while but didn't realize I could only find it from her again.

"This is not right." I said in my head and stopped myself.

"I am now married and I am here with my wife and this should be stop."

After a moment, Rose asked, "Are you okay?" and I quickly came back to my senses.

"Yes, I am baby. I'm sorry." I gave her a comfort smile.

"You must be thinking something." She continued.

"It's about the weeks we have left here." I said.

I struggled to quiet the clamorous thoughts that were running through
my head. I couldn't believe Jean could still have an impact on my life after all these years.

with a rapid-fire impulse, I opened my phone, and tapped my Instagram application, I then typed something on the search bar.

"Jean_Davis"