Six

Bucky

His leg bounced up and down under the table, a nervous habit that he'd had for as long as he could remember. He waited patiently, glancing at his watch every few seconds only to look away disappointed when he realised that, really, no time had passed at all since he had last checked. Steve was always on time, and Bucky was always early, that's just how it had always been, but at that exact moment Bucky simultaneously wished that his friend would be early for once for that he could finally find out what had gotten him so worked up, and also wish that he would forget, just this once, and not show so Bucky didn't have to deal with whatever it was.

He gripped his coffee cup, barely touched since having purchased it. The only thing he could do was hope that this wasn't about Y/N. There was no way he could know about her, right? Ever since that first night where Steve had caught her sneaking out of his apartment the next morning, Bucky had made sure to be more careful whenever you stayed over at his place, and you'd spent the past two nights at her apartment anyway.

The thought of Steve finding out as well made him beyond nervous, even if he was just adding his name to the list of people that now knew. Yelena. Wanda. Steve. But Steve actually had the power to go to Dean Fury, to be believed, to make a genuine problem. He trusted his friend, probably more than he trusted anyone else, but he knew how firm Steve's moral compass was. Steve saw the world very much as black and white, the good and the bad, no inbetween, and as much and Bucky wanted to believe that his best friend would have his back, he wasn't entirely sure that it would be the case this time.

When the door finally opened and Bucky caught sight of his best friend for the first time, his stomach dropped; Steve wore a deep frown across his features, one that wrinkled his forehead and darkened his eyes. Steve glanced around the room, his eyes finally landing on his friend, and when he sat down at the table he sighed.

"I got you a coffee," Bucky said, trying desperately to break the tension, motioning to the coffee cup that sat on the table in front of where Steve was sitting.

"Thanks," Steve mumbled, taking a sip before looking back up at Bucky, letting out a sigh and leaning back in his seat. He glanced at the people passing their table for a moment as if weighing up his options. "What are you doing, Buck?"

Bucky opened his mouth to respond, but Steve didn't give him a chance to speak, shaking his head and continuing, running a hand over his face before leaning forward, catching Bucky's eyes again, his hands clasped on the table top.

"Sleeping with a student?" He asked, and Bucky felt the nausea that had been building in his stomach threaten to rise up his throat. He did know, and there was nothing that Bucky could do now but simply sit and wait for his best friend to determine his fate. "What the hell were you thinking?"

A moment of silence, an invite for Bucky to explain, perhaps to give his testimonial, to fight for himself. He paused, choosing his words carefully, knowing that his explanation could make or break his case.

"I didn't know she was a student when I first met her," he said slowly, catching Steve's scoff. "No, really. I didn't know, and by the time I realised it was too late."

"Too late to keep your job?" Steve interjected, eyebrow raised, jaw tensed. Bucky sighed, taking a sip of his coffee to wet his dry throat.

"Steve, she's different from anyone I've ever met before," Bucky pushed, praying that his friend would see his view. "I-I can't stop thinking about her. Every time I see her I just want to kiss her and keep her by my side forever, and when I'm not with her, all I want is for her to be there. I know, ok? I know that it's stupid, that it's risky. But she's so special, Steve."