Epilogue

Five years later

Y/N and Bucky stood in the alley outside Cogito Books, simply staring at the door in front of them. Little did they know that the other was just as nervous and they were, butterflies swirling in their stomach. Y/N twirled the ring on her finger, a habit that she had garnered over the years since he had first given it to her, a way to ground herself, to pull herself back to reality.

"Are you ready for this, doll?" Bucky asked, looking down at his fiancée, a soft smile painted over his lips.

She took a deep breath, looking up at him. Over the years since she had met him he had changed so much. He looked older, even more sophisticated, if that was even possible. His scuff had grown out, with small grey patches here and there, something that she loved about him.

She loved everything about him.

Slowly but surely, she nodded, and Bucky took a step forward, opening the door and motioning for her to enter first. A loud cheer sounded at their arrival, and looking around the room she saw everyone that mattered to her and Bucky was there. Steve was right at the front with Yelena, his new girlfriend, and Y/N's unlikely friend, Dot, by his side. Her parents and brother were by the window holding plates of food and drinks in their hands. Her old roommates, Wanda, MJ, Shuri, and Kate were all there too, as well as Bucky's old and current co-workers, from Professor Romanoff, who Y/N knew now as Natasha, and Professor Rhodes, now known as Rhodey. Even Dean Fury was there, beaming in their direction.

And right there, in the center of the room, was the bookstore owner, that sweet old man who had become an important friend to both Y/N and Bucky over the years, raising a glass in their direction with a knowing smile.

And that was when she saw it, the stand right at the front of the shop. She took a step forward, and once he realised what she was looking at, Bucky followed behind her. They stopped right in front of the stand, his hand reaching for hers.

There, sitting on the stand proudly, were copies upon copies of the same book, the cover a light sky-blue, the title written in shimmering gold.

Fairytale of New York, by Y/N Y/L/N and James Barnes.