Chapter 3

As the storms moved out of the area, the sunshine was a great uplifter for everyone to see. The mood in the city lighten up and everyone had smiles, well everyone but you.

You were sitting at the table eating some breakfast with Watanabe. She made you some eggs and bacon with some rice.

The food was good. Great even. However, you had a lot of drainage in your ears and throat. So you feared being sick was about to come along.

"What's the matter?" Watanabe could see you were conflicted about something.

"Just have some drainage going on. Think I might be getting sick."

"Ew, stay away from me. I can't get sick in front of Minami-Kun." Watanabe started, "We get to see how the progress is today. I wonder how he and his partner are doing."

You turned around and looked at the digital counter, it was at thirteen points. "Well considering we were at negative points, that doesn't seem bad."

"Right?! If we can get these points, surely Minami-Kun can easily have an A right now."

Minami-Kun this, Minami-Kun that. You were angered by the constant hearing of that name. Wait, anger? Now this is really confusing you. Normally you could just say it's an annoyance, but anger? Oh boy, now there's some confliction.

"Hey, what do guys like when girls give them attention?"

"Elaborate. That's a very broad question" You ate some food.

"Like, what are things that would help me gain attention. What do guys prefer?"

"Hmm, depends on the dude honestly." You were short. You knew where this was going, but also shocked that she's asking this question. Just look at her, she doesn't need to do anything else.

Wait a minute, why think that? Sure she's annoying, but you can't deny that she is very attractive.

"Come on, work with me here" She pouted.

"Fine." You agreed. "It truthfully depends on the person. There are simple things that will gain attention. Cooking them lunch is one thing."

"Like a bento box?"

"Should work." You nodded your head.

"What else?"

"Well, I play a lot of baseball. So, if the person I have a crush on was to come and watch my games, that'd get my attention immediately." You explained.

"Minami-Kun doesn't play any sports after school. He just goes to work. So I can't do that."

"Looks like you found your idea then."

"And you're going to help me." She smiled.

"Huh?" You raised an eyebrow

"I'm gonna prepare a course of meals this week and I want you to give me feedback. Once I find the right combination, I'll give it to him then."

"Why don't you just ask him what his tastes are? It'll save the headache for the both of us."

"That'll ruin the surprise!!" She retorted.

"It'll save you the disappointment of him critiquing your dish"

"He wouldn't do that! He's more mature than you are!"

Your eye twitched at that. When she stated that, something snapped within you.

"I'm not going to continue to let you treat me like I'm some insignificant being compared to him. Hate to break it to ya, I'm not him. I will never apologize for not being him. I have goals, dreams, and I guarantee you I have worked a million times harder at life than he has." You took a deep breath, you saw that Watanabe was too stunned to even attempt to talk back from this outburst. "The way you're treating me isn't right. I need to graduate, I need to continue my journey of wanting to playing a sport professionally. With you constantly saying Minami-Kun this or that, it's gonna hold me back. So, you're more than welcome to go and see how he will react, but as a guy, as someone who knows how he would react, it wouldn't hurt you to learn more about him before you try and do something to gain his attention." You stood up and grabbed your things and left the apartment.