21

It's been four days since I've seen Antonella, and I would love to keep it that way

 It's been four days since I've seen Antonella, and I would love to keep it that way. But I needed to clear things up with her and my stepmother. So inviting the two out for dinner was the only option. Having them both in a public place would make them behave appropriately and hear me out. I didn't think or even take into account what would happen after dinner. Yet, I should have known better. I should have known my stepmother would do just about anything to create this false narrative about Antonella and me.

With me being the last eligible bachelor of Opal inc, many gossip blogs and news outlets had their eye on me. I didn't mind a few months ago, but now I do. Helena and I are—were making progress. She was a woman who knew what she wanted and would make it clear.

I was what she wanted.

"Knock knock," I look up from the pile of papers on my desk to see Everett's wife, Tameka, walk inside, her eyes glued to the laptop. "I need help with my laptop. It isnt opening up this stupid file Everett sent me. Please help—oh, are you busy?" she finally looks at me.

"Bring the laptop." I gesture for her to come here.

"You look like you need a hug. Is everything okay?" She gives me the laptop and glances at the open door before sitting down. "So, is everything okay?"

"Come in, ladies. No need to stand outside my door." I say loud enough for them to hear. As the last man standing, the wives have taken a keen interest in my love life. It doesn't bother me as much because I know they mean well, and they also helped me when I was going through things with that Antonella drunken night. "I don't have all day, ladies," I say again, and they walk in.

Kenza, Alsie, Charles and Yeri. I'm surprised that I don't see Miguel's wife—she must be busy like always. The ladies invade my office, taking a seat wherever they see fit. I look around the office, and they're all staring at me with those eyes. It's not pity, and it's not anger, either. I don't know what you would call it. Whatever it is, I wish they would stop looking at me that way.

"Are you okay?" Yeri asks, and I have to bite my tongue from lashing out at her. Technically it's not her fault, for why I'm in this predicament, but it is. If her twin—never mind.

"I've seen better days," I answer.

"I can reach out to the PR team and have them release a statement. I know its not something the company would normally do, but you are one of the Directors, and you're on the board, so this—"

"Or we can just beat her up. I don't mind." Tameka says cutting off Kenza.

"I second that." Charles smiles, raising her fists.

Yeri sighs. "I'm sorry, Tristan. If it wasn't for my sister--you wouldn't be in this situation. Austin told me about the contract and how Helena signed it yesterday."

"It wasn't your fault Yeri. Who knew Yuri would do something like that." Alsie walks over, comforting her.

"Alsie is right. It wasn't your fault. As much as I would love to blame you...." Movement at the door catches my attention. I stand up quickly,

"Helena, what brings you here?"

She raises the container in her hand. "Your PA told me you wanted me to bring up your lunch...you can come get it." She looks around my office quickly. So she does get shy, noted. I move to the door, grab her wrist, and she whispers for me to let go, but I don't want to. I can't lose her for a second time.

"Mr. Beckett, I need to get back down to the restaurant; even though it is my last day there, I don't want the cooks to think I'm going to slack off."

"Last day?"

"Yes, I thought you were informed I signed my contract with Opal Inc yesterday. Chef Tamara is coming back tomorrow, so I will officially be back at my restaurant. A week away and dealing with new cooks really made me miss my cooks, even Paine." She chuckles. "But, I'll leave you to it. I see you have a meeting of sorts."

This is what I hated the most. Helena didn't curse me out or anything when the news hit that Antonella and I were engaged—yes, fucking engaged. My stepmother must have connections because that dinner was the dinner that cost me, Helena. Chase told me not to react but let things play out for the company's sake. If I didn't know any better, I think he wanted this. He wanted the acquisitions to happen sooner than three months from now.

Helena and I were in my condo when the news broke. Her friends are the ones who actually told her. In the middle of sex, our phones were going off non-stop, and after making her cum for the fifth time, we took a break. I wish I had continued to fuck her until the following day. That night, Helena told me she would head home and speak to me the next day. The next day came, and nothing—also the day after that. It wasn't until she signed the contract with the company did she finally speak to me. It was a little nerve-wracking because she was calm and showed no signs of being upset or hurt. She acted as nothing had happened.

"Can we go out for dinner?" I ask.

"Sorry, Mr. Beckett, I'll be working at my restaurant." She shoves the

container into my chest. "I hope you enjoy and have a good day." She takes off down the hall, and I drop my head down, sulking back inside the office.

"Wow, she's so strong," Alsie says.

"Stronger than me," Tameka adds.

"I don't think I could ever watch the person I'm in love with marry another woman." Yeri chimes in.

"Yeah, I—she—wow. I admire her." Kenza says, still looking in the direction of the open door.

"Do you want me to talk to her?" Charles asks, and I shake my head quickly.

"I don't need any of you talking to her. Let me figure this out myself. I got me in this mess, and I'll get out of it. I fear I'll never get her back if any of you intervene." The last thing I want is for Charles to butt in alone. I saw what went down with her trying to fix things with Alsie. All the guys vowed never to have Charles help after that went down. I want to follow my heart and chase after Helena, but now if I do, I will lose everything, and I mean everything—so could Helena. I love her too much to do something that will take everything from her. I will figure out a way.

"I can help," Yeri says. "And we all know I can. Let me help you."

"I don't need it, Yeri. I'll find a way." Why don't these women just get the hint? Probably because they know I won't be able to find a way around the contract. It's ironclad.

"Fine, we won't help you. Come on, ladies, Tristan made it crystal clear he doesn't want us to help him." Charles says, and the ladies nod. "We won't help you. You enjoy your lunch."

"Oh, everyone, don't forget the twins have their homecoming dance. Ari and Bri said it's important everyone come to see them off. Oh, and Everett, bless his heart, is throwing an afterparty for them afterward. So I need everyone to come for chaperone duties." Kenza looks around the room.

"I saw the party plans; we need everyone," Tameka adds.

My office phone rings. I don't say anything but wave goodbye as they leave the office.

"Tristan, speaking," I answer.

"How did it go?" Everett asks.

"Better than I expected."

"You should be thanking me." I hear Austin's voice in the background.

"I will thank you once I get Helena back. Now, let me figure out what Tameka did to her laptop because the application really won't open." I end the call, leaning back in my chair.

Author Comment: Here comes the drama...my book wouldn't be my book if we didn't have any lol... How would you guys like to see the ladies "help"?