23

I said I was going to take a break because of the holiday, but i thought i would bless you all with a treat

I said I was going to take a break because of the holiday, but i thought i would bless you all with a treat. Okay, now I won't update until December 1st. Happy Thanksgiving!

I place her on top of the counter.

    I came over here to talk to her and figure out what was happening inside her head. I wasn't used to a woman not caring-or not showing emotions when it comes to certain things. Anyone I had dealt with before Helena they were very vocal about things. Helena is the opposite. She sends me another curve ball when I think I have her figured out.

    "Tristan, we can't," she says, trying to get down.

    "Why not?" I place my hands on her waist, stopping her. "Why?"

    "Because you're engaged." She says, taking an interest in my shoulder. I tilt her chin up, making her look at me.

    "I'm not engaged, and you know it. If her name isnt Helena Mathis, she means nothing to me. What do I have to do to make this right?" I ask. I had never felt this way about a woman, and it scares me a little. "Helena, talk to me, love."

    "There is nothing you can do. It's already put out in the world that you're engaged to Antea-Antonella. Your mother has made it clear whom she prefers for her son." Her brown eyes start to gloss over. Fuck. "If the contract gets fixed, we still can't be together."

    "I'm not her son, and she is my stepmother."

    "You know it's crazy that this is happening again to me."

    "Again?"

    She nods. "Henry and I. The real reason he and I broke up was because of his mother. She didn't say these exact words, but I picked up what she was saying: she didn't want her son dating or marrying a black woman. Even though I have a degree and own my restaurant, I'm well established and known in the food industry, and I still wasn't good  enough because of my skin color." She pauses, letting out a deep breath. "So, I get it. I tried to ignore the looks your stepmother was giving me at that dinner. I know that look. It was the same one Henry's mother would give me."

    "Helena, I don't care if you were orange."

    "But eventually you will. It's the way life is. Black woman-"

    "Don't. You are attractive, smart, kind, and beautiful inside and out. Even when you're being a hard ass in the kitchen, you still care about your workers and how your words might affect them. Don't think I never noticed that. I'm falling for you, Helena, and it scares me how quickly it's happening. Each day you and I spend together, I find myself falling more and more. I don't care what anyone has to say. It won't make me sway."

    "Tristan,"

    "Shhh," I kiss her. I need to make this right, not for my sake, but for hers.