Planning and Preparation

I say this every year, but this year was the hardest round of exams I'd ever have to do. But, I can assure you that I'd say that next year, during my O.W.L's. It was almost entirely quiet in the hall, save for the scratching of quills and the breathing of the students. Of course, we were given Quills that had been bewitched with an Anti-Cheating spell. In addition, a charm was cast over the room to not allow any Legilamancy to weasel in. In addition to the written exams, we had practicals as well. Professor McGonagall watched us as we performed a Cross-Species Switch, a Zebra to Donkey, and back again. We lost points if the Zebra made Donkey noises, or if the Donkey has stripes. Professor Flitwick made us summon an object from outside the classroom, and then banish it. Professor Snape was breathing down my back as I brewed a Doxycide. Professor Quirrell had us perform a counter-curse on an object. At night, for Astronomy, we were to correctly identify all the stars in a given constellation. In Herbology, we were judged on how well our Shrivelfig plants had grown over the year. Professor Kettleburn had us wrangle Nifflers. History of Magic and Muggle Studies had no practical, so that was a small relief.

After the exams, we had a week to relax before the results would be available. "That was far easier than I thought it would be." Hermione said as we headed onto the main grounds of the school. I was re-wrapping my fingers from the Niffler bites they suffered during the practical. "I needn't have learnt about the sixteen-thirty-seven Werewolf Code of Conduct or the uprising of Elfric the Eager." The four of us settled under a tree near the Black Lake, my twin brothers and their best friend Lee were tickling the tentacles of the Giant Squid. I'd ask her to release them later after they'd learned their lesson.

"No more revision." Ron sighed happily, stretching out. "You could look more cheerful, Harry, we've got a week to find out how badly we've done, there's no need to worry yet."

"Are you ok, Harry?" I asked, turning to the boy who was furiously rubbing his forehead.

"I wish I knew what this means!" Harry exclaimed angrily. "My Scar keeps hurting, it's happened before, but never as often as this."

"Go to Madam Pomfrey." Hermione suggested.

"I'm not ill. I think it's a warning, it means danger's coming."

"Harry, relax." Ron tried to soothe. "Hermione's right, the Stone's safe as long as Dumbledore's around. Anyway, we've never had any proof Snape found out how to get past Fluffy. He nearly had his leg ripped off once, he's not going to try it again in a hurry. And Neville will play Quidditch for England before Hagrid let's Dumbledore down." Harry nodded, but he tries to explain that he had a feeling as if there was something that he'd forgotten to do something important.

"It may just be exam jitters." I reminded him. "If we don't know what the pain is, then we can't give an accurate guess as to why it hurts." I pat the Chosen One on the arm. Turning to watch the Black Lake, we were silent and content for a moment before Harry lept to his feet.

"Where're you going?" Ron asked groggily.

"I just thought of something." Harry stated. I looked up at him, and he had turned white as a sheet. My hair turned bright lavender as Hermione, Ron and I got up to follow him. "We've got to go and see Hagrid, now."

"Why?" Hermione panted as we ran up the grassy slope after Harry, my hair returning normal.

"Don't you think it's a bit odd that what Hagrid wants anything else is a Dragon, and a stranger turns up who just happens to have an Egg in his pocket? How many people walk around with Dragon Eggs if it's against Wizard Law? Lucky they found Hagrid, don't you think? Why didn't I see it before!?"

"What are you on about?" Ron asked, but Harry was already sprinting across the grounds towards Hagrid's hut. We followed after him. Hagrid was perched in an armchair outside his house, shelling peas into a large bowl. He looked up as he approached.

"Hullo." Hagrid greeted, smiling. "Finished yer exams? Got time fer a drink?"

"No we're in a hurry." Harry but in, speaking over Ron. "Hagrid, I've got to ask you something. You know that night you won Norbert? What did the stranger you were laying cards with look like?"

"Dunno, he wouldn' take his cloak off." Hagrid noticed our raised eyebrows. "It's not that unusual, yeh get a lot o' funny fold in the Hoges Head, that's one of the pubs down in the Village. Mighta bin a dragon dealer, mightn' he? I never saw his face, he kept his hood up."

"What did you talk to him about, Hagrid?" Harry asked. "Did you mention Hogwarts at all?"