The Potions Master

Once we received our timetables for the year the next morning at breakfast, we gathered our books and headed off to class. My classes consisted of Defence Against the Dark Arts, Charms, Transfiguration, Astronomy and Herbology. As I was a Fourth year, I had to choose two elective subjects. The ones I decided on were Care for Magical Creatures and Muggle Studies. Dad seemed to have such a fascination with it I decided to find out for myself. And dad was right. Muggles are fascinating...in their own way. A couple of days after the start of the year, I was seated with Harry and Ron at breakfast. "What have we got today?" Harry asked.

"Double Potions with the Slytherins. Ron replied, "Snape's Head of Slytherin House. They say he always favours them, we'll be able to see if it's true."

"Wish McGonagall favoured us."

"Oh no, Snape totally has a bias towards the Slytherins." I told them, taking a bite of my toast. "Every time I have his class, all the house points go to them, and us Gryffindor's are always getting points off for stuff we didn't do." It was then the mail finally came. Among the soft flap of wings of the owls was the unmistakable cry of an eagle. I looked up and watched as a Golden Eagle swooped down and landed next to me. "Hey there girl." I greeted. Running my ringers over her feathers. "You took a while to get here." Aquila primed shook out her wings.

"Ginny was taking forever to write you a letter." Aquila huffed, offering me the sealed envelope in her beak. I took it with a smile, slipping it into one of my books.

"What's that?" Harry questioned, staring at Aquila. My Eagle huffed, clacking over to Harry and tilting her head.

"What's this then?" She questioned, "A Human? Don't like it when I'm staring at you, do you boy?" Aquila started to straighten and was ready to flap her wings.

"Aquila! Aquila no!" I scolded, grabbing her by the body and effectively pinning her wings. "You can't attack him, ok? He's a friend." Aquila turned to glare at me with one eye. "Ok, ok, why don't you and Hedwig go take a fly, ok?"

"She's heading over to Hagrid's." Harry eeped out.

"There you go, you can go see Hagrid and Fang." I threw Aquila up. She spread her wings and started to take flight, Hedwig following after her. "Make sure to come back tomorrow morning so I can give you my reply!" Aquila and Hedwig disappeared out the roof. "That was Aquila." I said, turning to Harry. "She's my Eagle."

"I didn't know you could have an Eagle as a pet."

"Don't let her hear you say that." I lifted my tea mug and took a generous sip. "She's not a pet, more so an annoying friend who goes wherever I go. I found her egg in an abandoned nest and I managed to hatch her." I took another sip of tea. "You said she was going to Hagrid's, correct?" Harry nodded. "Mind if I tag along, close friends we are, Hagrid and I."

"Sure."

As true to his word, I followed Ron and Harry down to Hagrid's hut just off school grounds

As true to his word, I followed Ron and Harry down to Hagrid's hut just off school grounds. Harry reached out and knocked. When he did, there was a lot of scrambling and loud barks. "Back, Fang! Back!" Hagrid ordered. The door opened, and Hagrid ussured us in, trying to keep hold of his large boarhound. "Make yerselves at home." Hagrid offered as he let go of fang. The instant he did, Fang bounded over to me.

"Kenzie! Kenzie! Kenzie!" Fang barked cheerfully as he tried to lick my ears. His mind was a simple one.

"This is Ron." Harry introduced, gesturing to the red-headed boy.

"Another Weasley, eh?" Hagrid muttered as he started to set up tea. "I spent half me life chasin' yer twin brothers away from the forest." And with that, we started to eat. Hagrid's rock cakes were...rocks. However, we did pretend to like them as Ron and Harry told the half-giant about their first lessons. They seemed to be pleased when he called the caretaker 'that old git'. I have to admit, it was funny. "An' as fer that cat, Mrs Norris, I'd like ter introduce her to Fang sometime. D'yeh know, every time I go up ter the school, she follows me everywhere? Can't get rid of her, Fitch puts her up to it."

"That's cats thoughts are ghastly." I added, setting down my mug. "If Dumbledore heard what that cat was saying and the names she calls the students, she'd be off school grounds quicker than you can say 'bowtruckle'." Our conversation then turned to Snape's potions lesson earlier that day, and how he seemed to single Harry out.

"But he seemed to really hate me." Harry stated.

"Rubbish!" said Hagrid. "Why should he?" Harry then looked down, actively avoiding Hagrid's gaze. "How's yer brother Charlie?" Hagrid turned to Ron and I. "I liked him a lot, great with animals." Ron then threw himself into telling Hagrid about Charlie's work with Dragons.

"Hagrid!" Harry exclaimed, "That Gringotts break-in happened on my birthday! It might've been happening while we were there!" My eyebrows frowned, there was a break-in at Gringotts? I looked up to Hagrid, and he seemed to be the one avoiding our eyes this time. I looked over Harry's shoulder, pushing my now dark lavender hair behind my ear as I read over the paper.

GRINGOTTS BREAK-IN LATEST

Investigations continue into the break-in at Gringotts on 31 July, widely believed to be the work of Dark wizards or witches unknown. Gringotts goblins today insisted that nothing had been taken. The vault that was searched had in fact been emptied the same day.

"But we're not telling you what was in there, so keep your noses out if you know what's good for you," said a Gringotts spokesgoblin this afternoon.

The article went on to say that the vault had been searched, but it'd been emptied earlier that day. By the end of the night, the three of us left Hagrid's cabin, weighed own by rock cakes. I could tell something was off about Harry, he had a contemplative look on his face, but I couldn't tell what for.