Diagon Alley

Having Harry live with us was certainly fun, but the only thing that I didn't like was that Ginny thought our room was the best spot in the world. I didn't mind, but sometimes I just wanted some time to myself. A week or so after Harry showed up, we got our letters from Hogwarts early on a Sunday morning. Harry and Ron came down for breakfast, and I quickly saved Ginny's porridge bowl from hitting the deck. "Letters from school." Dad said, approaching them and tucking letters into their hands. "Dumbledore already knows you're here, Harry, doesn't miss a trick that man. You've got them too." Dad added, handing Fred and George their own letters as they entered the room in their matching pyjamas. With everyone's letters secure in their possessions, everyone opened theirs. I had two letters, so I grabbed my book list.

Fifth-year students will require:

The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 5 by Miranda Goshawk

Break with a Banshee by Gilderoy Lockhart

Gadding with Ghouls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Holidays with Hags by Gilderoy Lockhart

Travels with Trolls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Voyages with Vampires by Gilderoy Lockhart

Wanderings with Werewolves by Gilderoy Lockhart

Year with the Yeti by Gilderoy Lockhart

"It looks like everyone's got the same books this year." I commented, glancing at Ginny's textbook list.

"You've been told to get all Lockhart's books too!" Fred cried, peering at Harry's paper. "He new Defence Against the Dark Art's teacher must be a fan, bet it's a witch."

"This lot won't come cheep." Fred said. "Lockhart's books are really expensive..."

"Well, we'll manage." Mum assured, though she looked worried. "I expect we'll be able to pick up a lot of Ginny's things second-hand."

"Oh, are you starting Hogwarts this year?" Harry asked Ginny, who flushed as red as her hair. Just as Percy walked in, already dressed and with his prefect badge pinned to his top, I opened the next letter...and a shiny badge clattered out and onto the table. My hair flashed banana yellow and bright pink.

"Is that what I think it is?" Ginny asked as I picked up the red and gold item, turning it in my fingers.

"Awww." Fred groaned. "Another one!"

"Our own sister." George sighed.

"Congratulations Kenzie!" Percy said. "I will be able to-"

"No, Percy." I interrupted. "You're not teaching me how to be a prefect."

"You're what?" Mum wondered, rounding the table to stand next to me, "You're a Prefect?"

"Yes, Mum, I-"

"Oh I'm so proud of you!" Mum wrapped her arms around me, kissing the side of my head.

"Congratulations, Kenzie." Dad said, reaching over and clasping my hand.

"What do you want from Diagon Alley today, Kenzie?" Mum asked, pulling away. "Anything you want, within reason, you can have."

"Oh, thanks Mum." I said with a smile. "I-I'll look around and find something and get back to you, yeah?" Percy then went to sit down, but he lept to his feet again, moving Errol who was on the chair.

"Errol!" Ron sighed, taking the limp owl from Percy. He then tried to stand Errol on his perch just inside the door, but he flopped off again, so Ron laid him on the sink's draining board, muttering curses. There was a cry as a familiar golden eagle soared through the window and landed on the back of my chair, ruffling her feathers.