30 • Dance

"I'm sorry about your girlfriend

"I'm sorry about your girlfriend." I admitted.

His eyes snapped to mine with anger.

"You're sorry? I'm sorry."

"Wait, why are we sorry?" I asked.

"I don't know. I guess because she made us both feel really shitty and she's not my girlfriend so don't call her that."

I slipped into the seat opposite him and he sat up, toying with his lower lip like he felt nervous.

"How many guys have you been with Millie?" I felt my words choke up before I even went to say anything.

"That's a really personal question." I answered, feeling awkward. He sat up to look at me.

"Too personal?"

"How many people have I had sex with or how many people have I done stuff with?"

"Sex." River confirmed what he meant.

"Just one person and it was awkward as fuck, I'm trying to suppress the memory." I laughed.

"Awkward?"

"Well yeah, isn't everyones first time awkward?"

"Yeah I guess so." He fiddled with the napkin holder clasp. "Could you tell me about it?"

I blew out a raspberry with my lips, where to even begin with that guy?

"It was with this tourist. He came for the summer and we hung out for a day on the beach, he was really nice to me and when people are nice to me I just give them everything."

I laughed awkwardly, I definitely shouldn't have overshared that.

"Wow, you really went in on yourself there." He laughed uncomfortably too.

"So my therapist used to say I never got enough love as a child and now when someone treats me even remotely well I crave it and throw myself at them. All in."

I shook my head and face palmed myself, this was an awkward conversation in general and I was digging a hole, making everything so much worse.

"I don't know why I just told you that, that is so embarrassing. Anyway this guy, he treated me like I was the only girl in the world for one day and I hooked up with him. It was terrible, I got sand in my ass and everything was gritty. It hurt.

We met up again, the next night and the night after that and basically every night for two weeks. The sex never got any better.

He got really offended by that. I think he took it personally, like believed he was bad at sex. He said some really mean things to me, got violent and thankfully I didn't see him again."

"What a shithead." I nodded in agreement.

"I never wanted to try with anyone else after that. So that's me, clearly you've never had sex with Monique but have you ever... at all?"