Chapter One

Hollywood, 1947

Hollywood, 1947

It was an age where man and toon had reached its zenith in the wake of the biggest conspiracy the world had ever known. Judge Doom – Toontown's sinister superior court judge – was dead. Believed to have been an average human, he was exposed as a toon in human disguise and ultimately killed by his own "Dip," a sickly green, ghastly concoction of turpentine, acetone, and benzene – known to be the only source on the planet that could kill a toon.

The man who did the deed was a human private investigator by the name of Eddie Valiant. Since then, the newspapers heralded Eddie as the "Hero of Toontown," not only solving the murder of Marvin Acme, CEO of Acme Corporation and owner of Toontown, but also clearing the name of Roger Rabbit.

Valiant's efforts brought him more clients and cases than any other investigator in Los Angeles.

That included three novices by the name of Moe, Larry, and Curly.

With barely any clients or cases within the last month, the boys were forced to relocate their floundering operations to a five-story apartment house in the Hollywood slums. "A whole month and that Valiant guy is getting all the press!" Larry griped near the doorstep of their new home.

Moe held the newspaper with Valiant's smug mug printed on the front. If he would, he'd poke that picture in the eyes, even at the risk of putting holes in the newspaper. "I know how you feel, fellas," Moe told his associates. "But the way I see it, Valiant's yesterday's news."

"But this is today's paper," Curly teased, following it up with a chortle of Nyuck's that earned him a bonk on the nose from Moe.

"You three dumbbells still haven't settled in, eh?"

The boys jumped when they heard the rough, haughty voice of their new landlady – a thirtysomething woman in a cardigan sweater and a long-pleated grey skirt. Her brown hair was done up in a bun, and she stood at exactly six feet tall. While she was quite young and beautiful, she carried a very stern disposition that seemed to have little time for her new tenets.

"Ah! Good afternoon, Miss Shoeshine!" Moe greeted.

"Her name ain't Shoeshine, it's Moonshine." Larry corrected.

"You're both wrong," Curly argued. "It's Chlor-rhine."

"IT'S FLORSHINE, YOU IDIOTS!" Miss Florshine thundered. Already the boys were making a terrible first impression. "And when are you gettin' settled in? That big dumb moving truck is blocking the entrance!"

The Edgar Brothers' delivery truck was parked along the sidewalk, just across the apartment entrance. The Edgars, a trio of toon pigs that very well could have been the "Three Little Pigs," had unloaded everything off the truck bed by the time Florshine made her demands.