Chapter Two

Dressed to the nines (or maybe twos), the Stooges arrived at the Ink and Paint Club, crowded in the back of a taxicab the entire trip

Dressed to the nines (or maybe twos), the Stooges arrived at the Ink and Paint Club, crowded in the back of a taxicab the entire trip. The entrance was in a discreet location. Whereas most clubs advertised their businesses with bright neon signs and even a red carpet, this particular club's entrance was a basic steel door of a nondescript building in a rundown factory area.

Moe, Larry, and Curly each knocked a few times on the door.

A speakeasy-style peephole slid open, revealing the face of a toon gorilla, leering on the Stooges.

"Evenin', fella," Moe greeted. "We're here by invitation."

"Password," the gorilla grunted.

Larry frowned. "Password? Nobody said nuttin' 'bout a password!"

"Quiet, cotton head! Lemme handle this!" Moe ordered. He then returned on the waiting gorilla and said, "There must be some mistake, buddy. We have an invitation." He took the letter out of his pocket and presented it to the gorilla. "Ya see?"

"Nobody gets in, unless they say the password," the gorilla established.

Curly briskly stepped in, shoving Moe aside. "Stand back! I'll take care of this!" He looked directly at the gorilla and (poorly) recited the phrase, "Open Says Me!"

SLAM! The peephole slid shut, but the door didn't open.

Moe furiously forced Curly to face him. "Open Says Me," he mocked before poking Curly's eyes. Determined to get in, Moe knocked again with more ferocity.

The gorilla responded in the same manner. "Who do you think you are? Mickey Mouse? If you don't know the password, you ain't comin' in. So, amscray!"

"We want in, King Kong!" Moe yelled. "If ya really want us to leave, then go right ahead and make us!" Accepting his challenge, the peephole slid open again and the gorilla's massive, hairy fist punched through it. However, rather than striking Moe in the face, it flew over his head entirely and struck Curly instead, retracting back into the peephole afterwards. Surprised and offended, Moe again challenged, "Lemme see you try that again, if you really meant it!"

And, again, the gorilla's fist flew through the peephole and struck Curly's face.

"For Pete's sake, he means it!" Curly griped to Moe.

As the peephole slid closed once more on the Stooges, they heard a man laughing from behind. They spun to see a guy in a shiny brown suit, a beige trench coat, and a beat-up fedora.

Eddie Valiant.

He was accompanied by tall, attractive brunette in a blue floral evening gown.