Chapter 1

"I want to hate him, I should hate him because he isn't my dad." Ally moaned and Lauren rolled her eyes as she took a bite of her sandwich.

"Why don't you then?" Lauren asked.

"Because he's just so nice! His daughter is weird though."

"Weird? Weird how?"

"She's just weird. She doesn't talk unless you ask her something and even then it's only one word answers."

"What's the matter with her?"

Lauren just rolled her eyes and nodded along, pretending she was actually listening.

"My mom said she's depressed, never got over her mom dying and I think the fact she was there when it happened and couldn't help is making it worse." Ally mumbled sympathetically.

"How'd she die?"

"Car accident about two years ago. Camila -that's the girls name- was in the passenger side and the car flipped over like five times and landed on its roof. Camila managed to get out but when she tried to help her mom she wouldn't wake up and her whole body was jammed against the dash. Camila isn't very tall now, never mind at fourteen years of age so no matter how hard she tried she couldn't get her mom out. She's lucky she didn't die, a bystander just managed to pull her away from the car before it blew up."

"Jesus. And this was only two years ago?" Lauren asked, leaning her elbows on the table and looking over at Ally.

"Yup. It's sad, really. She's so small and sad looking and I wanna help but I don't know how."

"It's only been two years, Ally. She watched her mother die, you can't expect her to get over that quickly. Plus her dad has just moved them out of their house and into your house, that's bound to mess with her head."

"I know." Ally agreed. "Are you still coming over tonight?"

"Of course. Are Normani and Dinah coming?"

"Yeah."

"What school is this girl going too?

"Camila?" Ally asked and Lauren nodded. "Here. She starts Monday."

"Oh, ok." Lauren nodded, getting to her feet when the bell rang.

"See you tonight." Ally called as she headed to class.

-----

"Where's your mom?" Dinah asked as she, Ally, Normani and Lauren walked up the stairs towards her room.

"Out with Mr Cabello."

"You mean dad." Normani teased making Ally glare at her.

"Where's his daughter?" Lauren asked, falling down onto Ally's bed.

"In her room. She only ever leaves to go to the bathroom."

"What's she like?" Dinah asked. "Like, what's she look like?"

"She's cute. Always looks tired or sick or something but she's cute. Small, brown hair." Ally shrugged.

"Small? Smaller than you?"

"No, when is anyone over the age of five smaller than me? But she is smaller than you guys."

"Go ask her to come in and watch movies with us." Lauren suggested.

"She won't come in. She doesn't leave her room."

"Fine. What're we watching?"

"The new Scream." Ally said as she fixed the DVD player.