Chapter 3

"Where's Camila?" Lauren asked as she, Ally and Normani took a seat at the lunch table.

"She eats in her car."

Lauren sat there got a couple of seconds, thinking what to do before standing up.

"Where are you going?" Ally asked.

"To see her." Lauren shrugged, ignoring Ally's protests and heading out to the parking lot.

She saw Camila pull up this morning so she knew exactly where she was parked.

Lauren lightly knocked on Camila's passenger side window making the girl inside jump at first but rolled her eyes when she saw Lauren.

Camila rolled down the window. "What do you want?"

"To see you."

"Why?"

"I just wanted to. Can I come in."

"Sure. Do what you want."

Lauren smiled, climbing into the car. "What you doing out here on your own, people will think you're crazy?"

"Don't like sitting in there with all those people."

Lauren nodded and the girls fell into a surprisingly comfortable silence.

"What's it like not being crazy?" Camila asked making Lauren look up.

"Fine. What's it like being crazy?"

That tiny smile was back on Camila's lips as she answered. "Fine."

"Good." Lauren nodded, turning on her side to look at Camila. "I'm kidding, I don't think you're that crazy."

"I think I am."

"You're not. You've been through stuff, horrible stuff that no one should have to go through and I can't say I understand how you feel because I can't, I've never been depressed. But I'm willing to listen and try and understand, if that's what you want."

"I want to, I just don't think I'm ready."

"Then I'll wait. I will still be here when you are ready and in the meantime I will continue to get funny looks from Ally."

"Yeah, what's her deal?"

"She's just looking out for you. Believe it or not she cares about you."

"I know but she just treats me like a child, her mom too, and it's annoying."

Lauren nodded. "You know what I wanted to ask?"

"I'm sure I don't want to know but alright."

"Does your therapist dude have a stuffed octopus? You know, to keep people calm."

"Isn't that from a movie?"

"I think so. So is that a no."

"That's a no." Camila answered. "But there is a stuffed bear for children."

"Ah, ok." Lauren nodded, resting the side of her head against the seat.

"How old are you?" Camila asked.

"I'm seventeen. You?"

"Sixteen."

Lauren nodded. "I hear you're a Harry Potter fan?"

Camila nodded, "Huge fan."

"Same." Lauren smiled. "What's your favorite book?"

"The Goblet of Fire. Which is yours?"

"Half Blood Prince but The Goblet of Fire is my favorite movie."

"The Chamber of Secrets is mine."

Lauren nodded, looking over at Camila. "Why are you so comfortable talking to me? Ally said you took months to talk to her."

"Because of how you look at me." Camila mumbled, lightly playing with her fingers as she looked up at Lauren through her eyelashes. "You don't look at me like you're psychoanalyzing me or like you're wonder when I'll have my next break down. You look at me like I'm human and that's a first for me."

Lauren smiled and nodded. "Hey, have you ever seen that video of the dude that turns vegetables into musical instruments."

"Shut up." Camila said, narrowing her eyes at Lauren like she was lying.

"Seriously, YouTube it when you're home."

"I will because I don't believe you." Camila agreed. "Can I ask you a question now?"

"Shoot."

"Why are you so interested in me?"

"Because I like you, you're a nice person when you aren't being a bit of a tool and even then you're quite nice. Why?"

"I just..." Camila mumbled, looking down at her hands. "I'm starting to trust you and like you and I don't wanna do that if you're just gonna leave when you get bored."

"I'm not gonna do that." Lauren assured, cautiously leaning over the center panel and tucking hair behind Camila's ear. At first the younger girl tensed up but relaxed after a second. "If you want me in your life then you're stuck with me."

"Yeah?" Camila whispered, looking up at Lauren.

"Yeah." Lauren said softly , smiling over at Camila. "You're not alone anymore."

Camila sighed when the school bell rang.

"Come on, we have biology." Lauren said, getting out of the car and heading into the building with Camila.