chapter three.

//

this part will take place a moon later.

//

Friskily, Breezekit pounced on his sister. 

"I will end you Fawnpelt!" he squealed, stifling a chuckle.

"That's where you are wrong Breezecatcher!" 

Fawnkit swiftly squeezed out from under her brother's paws  and circled him in a fierce but playful manner.

"Watch where you are going kit!" Umberthroat hissed as Fawnkit knocked into her.

"Sorry," she mewed hastily, looking sheepishly at her paws.

Buzzardflight was sat a distance away from her kits, underneath a hunched tangle of brambles. Owlfrost and her where chattering blissfully and taking the occasional moment to look up at their litters.

"Careful Fawn," Littlekit meowed, rushing to Fawnkit's side.

Littlekit and Fawnkit had developed a bond over the past moon and so had their mothers. Like sisters they were. 

"I'm going to ask my mum if I can get a mouse to eat," Breezekit declared, scooting off.

"Okay."

A soft patch of grass lay between the spot the kits were frolicking, a spot that the cats of Dawnclan enjoyed basking in. The majority of the camp was a layer of sand and an arrangement of shrubs and bushes lined the edges. Every dawn, the sun observed the clearing from above, casting a pelt of warmth across the clan's home. The nursery lay hidden in a shaded nook of camp so the kits weren't to be harmed by the heat of sunhigh, the time when the camp was warmest. A hollowed out tree was leaned against the hills that lined the camp which provided and ideal place for the leader to call meetings and a way to enter and exit camp. Normally, the clancats lay in the open of Dawnclan's camp as they enjoyed the night's chill on their pelt. The camp still had dens for each rank in case they disliked the coldness that night brought upon them. Busy was the best word to describe the activity in Dawnclan, with various patrols entering and exiting at every moment, cats crossing the camp and apprentices leaving for training sessions. 

This is my home. Fawnkit would always think.

Hurriedly, Fawnkit scurried towards Buzzardflight and slumped beside her.

"Oh?" 

"We stopped playing." she sighed.

Buzzardflight coiled her tail protectively around her daughter and glanced down at her. 

Fawnkit observed Owlfrost's litter tumble across the dusty ground from her position and smiled warmly whenever one of them cast a glance over to her. The lissom brother of Littlekit seemed to be taking charge of their game, ordering the other three about how he liked. Confused, Fawnkit furrowed her brow at this and tilted her head.

That's Frostkit isn't it...he looks bossy. 

A stocky she-cat protested whenever he pushed her about puffing her chest out and growling in a spirited way. 

That's Brookkit! 

A rather small tabby she-kit stood beside them, slouching almost and at once Fawnkit recalled that she was Hollykit. 

She's very small.

As the kits continued their play-fighting, the day's light faded until Silverpelt had took over the sky. Eventually, the kits had ceased their fun and had curled up and began to look up in awe at the stars.

"That one is big!" Brookkit purred, signalling a larger star in the sky. 

Fawnkit had changed her position from beside her queen and was then perched beside Littlekit. The little she-kit's light grey fur gave warmth to Fawnkit, even though she had thick fur herself.

Owlfrost and Buzzardflight were still keeping a close watch on the kits and had stretched out in the nettles beside the nursery. Hollykit, who was the most timorous of the bunch, was dozing lightly beside her brother, Frostkit. 

"I'm tired..." Breezekit mewed from his spot beside Fawnkit.

"Actually, I am too," Littlekit replied, stifling a yawn. "I am gonna go to sleep now."

Fatigued, Littlekit tottered off towards Owlfrost, mewing sleepily at her.

"Night sis!" Frostkit called, not looking away from the stars.

Fawnkit blinked a couple times before letting herself collapse on the soft sandy ground. 

I suppose I do need sleep...

The camp faded and darkness took its place in Fawnkit's mind.

                                                                          .......

" Wake up Fawn," Littlekit's mew sounded.

Fawnkit shook herself from sleep's dark paws and swivelled around to face Littlekit. The she-kits were in the nursery and a shine glistened deep within Littlekit's crystalline gaze. 

"It's still not dawn.." Fawnkit muttered.

Littlekit seemed too thrilled to care and she bounded out from within the nursery. A light drizzle covered Dawnclan's camp and Fawnkit felt a pang of gratefulness for her thick spotted tabby fur. 

"Look, Frostkit, Hollykit, Brookkit and I have something to show you, so get a move on you great matt in the fur!"

A hint of humour lingered in the she's voice, but urgence resided there too. 

"What is it?" she asked.