chapter seven.

// this chapter i wasn't to sure about ,also, tysm @coccabean for the new cover!! 

Silent, glossy Moonlight cascaded down and owls hooted in a  voice as deep as the Sundrown-Place that elders described so vividly in their tales. Breezepaw and Fawnpaw were crouched behind the nursery, which was their old home.

"I'll explain."

Fawnpaw's mind was filled with questions, more questions then she was sure there were answers. 

Just before Breezepaw began to speak, Fawnpaw meowed urgently and slightly sorrowfully, "You don't believe and aren't able to communicate with Starclan." 

Silence. The whole forest and camp seemed to fall completely silent. Breezepaw held his teeth tight together and shut his eyes.

"I thought you didn't realise..." he mewed at last.

"Of course I did! What sort of mange-face do you think I am? First, you ignore my question then you act like you are being distracted at training!" she hissed fury in her tone. "Mother would be devastated if she knew you didn't believe in Starclan Breezepaw! Oh, I'll-" 

"Shut up." he growled. "Mum will never know of this. Do you hear me?"

He opened his mouth to speak again but he shut it and fell quiet. A frown appeared on his face and he whimpered softly. 

"I don't want mum getting sad with me, she can get scary Fawnpaw. But of course you haven't seen that side, you are the perfect daughter. That time you walked in to play mossball, I went out of camp without permission and she properly scolded me. I'm begging you Fawn, don't tell her."

Shakily, Fawnpaw gulped and nodded, "I had no idea."

"Please."

The young cat's stare was tearful and desperate and she snatched a look behind her shoulder to check no one was there but when she turned back, her brother has disappeared. Stealthily, she crept through the camp and back to the apprentice den. Littlepaw, Brookpaw, Frostpaw and Hollypaw lay curled up in furry balls along with Cloudedpaw, Gingerpaw, Flamepaw and Dappledpaw, the slightly older apprentices.

But Breezepaw's scent in his nest was stale and cold. Then it dawned upon her...

He had left camp.

But Rainthorn was supposed to be on guard? She wouldn't let anyone out . No he's probably star gazing like we did that one time , anyway he isn't mine. 

Fawnpaw checked once more outside the apprentice den and then retreated into the safety and warmth of her friends. Her new nest lay between Frostpaw's and Littlepaw's she smiled at the two cats before settling down and drifting off. Fawnpaw's mind was cast back to when she'd curl up beside Buzzardflight in the draughty nursery. She loved it. The last thing she saw before the darkness of sleep were the gauzy cobwebs tied around the wood frame of the den.

A penetrating darkness swallowed her in mere heartbeats and her paws fell onto a soft green forest floor. 

"Dawnstar!" she yelped.

The golden tabby looked up. 

"I have a question," Fawnpaw meowed.