The letters - part two

Havers had been in the library after he had returned home from work. It had been a slow day today, but he did manage to sell an old lady some gorgeous roses. He'd been working at the flower shop for around two weeks now, and Eileen had graciously agreed to pay him weekly, at least until he had managed to get a little money saved up. Dave really helped him as well, picking him up and dropping him off for every shift. He'd also managed to fix the bike, but he liked spending the time with Dave. He really was incredibly lucky to have these people in his life. And he was also happy to finally have some money in his pocket.

William was reading a book- The Lost Decade. It was a fictional book about time-travel. Captain had actually discovered it in the library last week, and recommended it to him. He thought it may lead to some clues as to the way it was possible for William to travel through time. So far it had been a great read, but a little concerning in its similarities to his own situation. Annie, the main character, had been about to pass away- but suddenly found herself ten years in the future. It was getting a little uncomfortable, how similar it was. He'd just been about to finish the 10th chapter when he heard the unmistakable sound of footsteps coming down the hallway. At first he assumed they would just walk past, but they continued down the hall, and a minute later Mike had popped his head around the corner. A smile appeared on his face.

"Ah, there you are! Been looking for you for like ten minutes! Which doesn't sound like a lot, now that I'm saying it out loud... Anyway-" He gave a small chuckle as he walked into the room further and took a seat next to William, leaning back so he could reach something out of his jean pocket. It was one of those phones that you had to touch with your finger, like the pad on the laptop, which is something that was still a little bit confusing to William, but he supposed it couldn't be that hard to get used to. He'd managed to make the laptop work last week too, as well as the days following it. He still had a little trouble starting up and locating the net from time to time, but when it was all set he managed to find his way around pretty well. Though Mike still laughed at him whenever he said please and thank you to Google. ("It's common courtesy, Michael!") It was all in good fun of course. Surely he'd someday tire of the pleasantries.

"So listen, I was going through some boxes this morning, and I found a box with older tech... stuff. So I found my old iPhone. It's not the latest model, but it still works fine. And you know... since you did so well with the laptop last week, I thought you might want to take a look at it, see if you can work with it." He said, handing Havers the phone. He took it and examined it, trying to find out how to turn it on. He pressed a few random buttons until the screen lit up, a photo of Alison and Mike of what seemed to be a few years ago, they both look a bit younger, and a lot less tired.

"Wow, yes it would be great actually, thank you Mike. I've been meaning to get one, it would save me a lot of hassle for work." He said, holding the phone tightly. It felt kind of frail, like it would break into a thousand pieces if he were to drop it. Mike gestured to come closer, but changed his mind and scooted over to William a second later. "Yeah! That's what I thought. Okay so, that's the power button, and on the other side is the volume buttons. The middle button is the home button, it takes you to the 'home' screen. I'll need to do a factory reset later, but then I'll add mine and Alison's numbers for you." He began, immediately and excitedly launching into a pitch on the mechanics of the phone.

"L-i-l-y, Lily"

"Yeah, good job Mary! You're getting so good at this!"

"I tries." Mary replies, proudly. She had been trying. Alison had been leaving the book she found in the foyer open in her room over the past few days, and she'd been making use of her eternity to practise reading the names of the flowers. So far she'd successfully managed to read the entire page on Magnolias and Marigolds on her own, flowers that- to her surprise had very lovely meanings. She'd always loved flowers, picking them with her son when he was younger. They used to pick poppies and mayflowers whenever they used to bloom in the fields next to their house. Her and Alison together had gotten up to the 'L' now, almost getting through the entire book.