The return

Gunshots?

How would there be gunshots? What was happening?

Before William could even think about all the possible explanations for the gunshots, there was another bang, but this time it was a rapid-fire banging on the wooden door of the bedroom. A door that, was looking a little less banged-up than it did last night...

Williams heart was racing as he stumbled out of the bed, almost falling the floor in his hurry and grabbed the doorhandle, pulling it open. His eyes widened as he opened the door to a bustling hallway, where he looked right into the face of a uniformed man, who had been in the middle of knocking on his door. "Ah, I thought you were on leave, Lieutenant. What are you doing in the Captain's room?" He stated, and Havers could only gape as he took a glance down the hallway and saw other soldiers coming out of the rooms next to him, ready for another day of training.

The soldier in front of him, Bart Wilson- if he remembered correctly- was still looking at him questioningly. "No, not quite." He replied, still in a daze- but ignoring the question about why he was in the Captain's room on purpose. He'd actually done it. He'd travelled through time... again. George was telling the truth! Oh, he could jump from excitement. But Bart was now frowning at the man, obviously very confused as to why his lieutenant was acting so strange.

"Oh yes, erhm. Could you perhaps tell me the date, Private Wilson? It seems to have slipped my mind." He asked, trying to be conspicuous about it.

"10th of July, sir. " He replied shortly, strictly. Oh how he hadn't missed the strictness of the military.

"The year?" He asked again.

"1943, sir?" Bart replied, unsure but unquestioningly. He quickly waved the formalities off. "Thank you, Bart. At ease, please." He said, ignoring the funny look the man gave him as he walked out of the room past him, his confused gaze followed his lieutenant down the stairs- where he lost sight of him. How odd. He thought, but then shrugged. Lieutenant Havers had always been a little odd.

July 10th, 1943. Havers had indeed been on leave then, almost two weeks. He'd been in London then, with Maude and Stephen. He took a deep breath, trying to calm his racing heart at the thought of his family. He continued down the stairs and found himself in a warzone, both in-and outside of the house.

He'd forgotten what a mess it used to be inside the house. There were boxes, wires, and people everywhere. Pieces of equipment were scattered around, in a way that was both organised as well as messy- people were moving newly acquired boxes of ammunition into the garden and moving chairs to fit in rows in front of a small desk at the front of the room. It was chaotic beyond belief, and he wondered how he ever even managed to have any control over the lot of it. He stood in the middle of the room dumbfounded and looking around in awe. He hadn't been here in so long now, and the memories hit him hard. The people hurrying by were shooting him strange looks as he continued to walk through the house, making his way over to the command room. His heart skipped a beat as he heard the familiar barking of orders, and he looked into the sitting room to see the Captain.

He was still alive...

He felt a pang of sadness in his chest as he watched the man manage the troops that were practising with the new batch of revolvers, he looked tired, somehow even older than he had as a ghost. It didn't take long for the Captains' gaze to land on him, and his eyebrows raised in confusion. He turned his attention back to the men, and called out; "Take five!", and then quickly walked over to the man. William noticed that Mary was there too. She was hovering over in the corner opposite of rest of the soldiers with a curious look, talking to herself. The Captain followed his gaze, confused. He couldn't see her.