Chapter 2 - psychic or psychotic?

"Everyone's competing for a
love they won't receive."

WORD COUNT: 4.2K

"This is the one I was telling you about. I got it from a rare book dealer in Germany, cost me two hundred bucks but was totally worth it," Mason spoke like his life depended on it, trying to tell his friends about his recent discovery before they reached their history class and he would have to drag the conversation up again later.

"You're still reading about this?" Liam asked tiredly, sharing a short-lived knowing glance with Nathan. Over the summer, the trio had become closer— even with Mason being in the dark about the supernatural world. All three teens loved video games just as much as any other fifteen-year-old, their friendship mainly being formed on snacks and games at the Lawless' apartment.

Liam had seen with his own two eyes that Nathan had been on the dead pool, but he wasn't any closer to figuring out what kind of a supernatural creature he was. He didn't seem to howl at the moon or have magic like his sister and his eyes hadn't changed colour once. Hell, even Nathan himself didn't seem to realise he had been on the damn list!

"I was attacked by an armour-plated giant wearing a bear skull. It leaves an impression," Mason's eyes were as wide as saucers as he explained the situation to his best friends for the hundredth time in the last six months. While the others had been travelling to Mexico to save Scott, both Mason and Lydia had been attacked in the school. "Look, look, have you ever seen anything like this?" he pointed to a sketch of a berserker, impatiently waiting for an answer.

"For the love of god, slow down, I can't understand you," Nathan signed as he spoke, laughing lightly as he poked his head between the boys to get a better look at the drawing. Liam and Mason had both been accommodating when it came to him being deaf, making sure to face him so he could lip read and even going so far as to carry a couple of spare batteries in their bags in case his cochlear implant died.

"And then there's this whole section about the Nagual. Have you ever heard of the name Tez— tec"

"Tezcatlipoca," Liam corrected, the name rolling off his tongue with flawless pronunciation. "Nope, I've never heard of him."

Nathan rolled his eyes, slamming his history book onto a spare desk. If there was one word to describe Liam, it would one thousand per cent, without a doubt, not be subtle. "He was a god. The bringer of good and evil, the embodiment of change through conflict." He glanced up, the tips of his ears burning red at the attention of his best friends. "What? I like to read."

"Nathan. Nathan!" Liam hissed after a few seconds, slapping his friend about the back of the head, ignoring the kick in the shin that was returned his way. "Swap seats with me."

"Liam. You're not gonna just stand there, are you?" Mr Yukimura asked, folding his arms neatly across his chest. He couldn't deny that he was fond of Scott and his pack, but he really needed to get his lesson going without any interruptions. It was going to be a long year if this was the kind of start he was being met with.

"Maybe."

"The whole semester?"

"Maybe."

"Liam, have a seat."

Nathan swivelled around in his own chair, trying to tell Liam— who looked as if he was unwillingly being dragged to his death— that he would swap so long as they did it before class started. Mr Yukimura's eyes flickered to the scene, not seeming to mind the hassle, so long as it was quick and done without too much noise. "You can take your chair with you," he grimaced at the bubble gum that was now covering Liam's trousers, the girl next to him smirking in triumph.